Thursday, February 16, 2006

Against The Wind

Besides being a great Bob Seger song, "Against The Wind" describes precisely the speework session I did today with Brian K. The Weather Channel said that the winds were 20 mph sustained, with 30 mph gusts. I believe it. Does it always have to be so damned windy? Geez. I'd take the weather in Phoenix (where we used to live) over Houston weather anytime of the year. Yes, summer included.

Anyway, we had a nice workout in spite of the wind. I felt much stronger than last week when I had to work my tail off just to try to keep up. Today we did 9 x 400 again, with a recovery 400 after each one at a decent pace. Steve S. is out of town so it was just Brian and I. Oh, and about 10 boys playing football in the middle of the field we were running around. We took turns leading. I told Brian that actually the conventional wisdom on speedwork is that you should finish feeling like you could still do one more. That never happens for us because we're just so dang driven. But today it did, for me at least. As I said, I felt really strong today and didn't dread each lap at all. I finished feeling invigorated, and no lung-seared feeling. I didn't want to kill it today anyway, since I'm doing the 10K in Kemah Saturday morning. Our 400 repeat times were:

1:23, 1:21, 1:21, 1:19, 1:20, 1:19, 1:21, 1:21, 1:19.

A little better than last week, and pretty good considering the ridicolous wind in our face.

Total distance: 4.75 miles.
Total miles so far this week: 26.95.

3 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

Nice running. I need to do some 400s soon.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

I need to start doing 400 but the more I read about them the less I want to do them.

6:24 AM  
Blogger David said...

Windy? Try living in central Oklahoma for awhile :)

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home