Wednesday, February 08, 2006

7 Miles, Perfect Weather

Tonight was just great weather for running.

I went out at around 6:45 PM. The temperature was 64 or so, with no wind. I wore no shirt and it felt a little nipply before I warmed up, but once I got half a mile into the run it felt great. And as continued to generate more body heat the temperature was dropping maybe a degree every 15 or 20 minutes so I was barely sweating by the end of the run. AND NO WIND! Just perfect. We should continue to have nights like this through March. We'll see. Now, about the run.

I planned to do 7 miles. Not at an all-out PR type pace, but still fairly aggressive, especially given the conditions. I wore my Sauconys, which are plodders. Not nearly as fast as my Adidas Ozweegos, so I wouldn't have been able to pull off race-pace anyway. I started fairly conservatively but felt great from the first step. I haven't measured off the first mile marker for this route because it consists of two laps around my block (.4 miles each) then my 5.4 mile route, followed by two more laps around my block. That gets the total to 7 miles (.4+.4+5.4+.4+.4 = 7).

The first two laps around my block clocked in at 5:32, which is only a 6:55 pace, but again, I had started slowly. I do have the first mile measured out after completing the laps around my block, and that mile came in at 6:31. I hit the turnaround half-way point in 23:01 but definitely wanted to go negative on the return. I got back to my house in 17:07, with just the final two laps around my block to do. I had a stretch goal of doing those final two laps in 4:53 to get a 22 flat on the return but the first of the two came in at 2:33, and I didn't realistically think I could pull a 2:20 final lap, although I probably could in my Adidas. I managed a 2:29 for a two lap total of 5:02 and a negative split of 22:09 on the return. 3.5 miles in 22:09 equates to a 6:20 pace and something I'll take. I probably could have shaved 20 seconds off the return and 45 seconds to a minute off the front half if I had been really pushing from the first step and had been wearing my faster shoes. But all in all, a good solid training run without really killing myself. Speedwork tomorrow so I wanted to make sure I left something in the tank.

Total miles = 7. Total time, 45:10 = 6:27 pace.

Total miles thus far this week = 24.75.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hey Lance. I've notice it always takes me at least 2-3 miles for my legs to warm up and loosen up (I'm thinking about taking up Yoga to help with that). Your blog may yet help motivate me back to the weekly speed work-- keep it up.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home