Monday, February 13, 2006

New Cure For The Common Cold?

I felt crappy all weekend. I've got a cold that got worse on Friday and is now inmy chest. I had every intention of getting in some miles on Saturday but was tied up all day and by the time I got my son to bed Saturday night and finally had some free time I was practically a somnabulist. So I went to bed at about 9:30 Saturday night and woke up feeling worse on Sunday. I took some Thera-Flu Sunday afternoon which just made me feel drugged and groggy the rest of the day. I had told one of my running partners, Brian K. on Thursday that I was planning a long-run this past weekend, so I was really committed, especially since I had called Brian on Saturday to tell him Sunday night was gonna be it.

So I chugged some caffiene in the form of a 44 oz fountain drink from the gas station, got my son to bed, and headed over to Greatwood to meet Brian K. at 8:30 for what we hoped would be 14.2 miles at a decent pace. The weather was nearly perfect for a run. About 49 degrees, but a little wind.

We started the first of four 3.55 mile loops and Brian immediately asked me what kind of pace I was shooting for. On this loop that we do so often we could run it in our sleep, we don't talk about minutes per mile when we talk pace. We talk total time per loop. 27 minutes (plus or minus 30 seconds) is easy recovery pace. 26 is a little more aggressive but not real work. 25 is not playin' around, and anything under 25 is top-notch, with the occasional sub 24 minute loop here and there. So I told Brian that I'd love it if we did some 25s, but since I had a cold and was feeling like crap we'd better just take the first one at a conservative pace and see how things felt.

We hit the first mile at 7:40 and I have to admit, I was disappointed. I felt like we were working pretty hard and should have been at about 7:15, which would have been under 26 minutes for the loop. I didn't think I was going to be able to go any faster, and was going to have to work to maintain the pace we had going for 4 loops.

But as we kept going I started feeling better and better. We finished the first loop in 26:20 (7:25 pace). In the second loop I didn't think we had picked up the pace much until we hit the first mile marker at 7:03! But the pace we were running felt fine and felt like something I could maintain for the remainder of the run. We clocked 24:57 for the second loop (7:02 pace) and just kept right on truckin' along. The third loop came in at 24:33 (6:55 pace) but Brian was starting to feel some pain in his knee. Since we were now on our last loop we picked up the pace even more and Brian remarked about 2/3 of the way through the first mile that he'd be surprised if we weren't running a 6:30 pace. He was pretty close, as we hit the first mile marker at 6:32. About 1.8 miles into that last loop Brian dropped off the pace because of the knee. So, being in the zone, I kept the hammer down, flying solo for the remainder of the loop and finished in in 23:04 (6:30 pace). All of the symptoms of my cold were gone and I was feeling the best I'd felt all week. I know a lot of it was just getting moving and also the endorphins from running, but I feel pretty good today. Still coughing up stuff but I feel fine.

Anyway, it was a solid run and I couldn't have done it without Brian.

Total distance - 14.2 miles in 1:38:53, 6:58 pace.
Total miles for the week - 52.1.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

u gotta take "Airborne" when you're getting the crud- it is nasty but it works!

3:00 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

Dude, that's some fast running.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home