Friday, February 10, 2006

Thursday Double Duty

I went out for an easy 3 miles at lunch yesterday. Didn't take the watch because I didn't want to be tempted to push the pace with speedwork coming later that day. The run was uneventful but the weather seemed a little uncomfortable for running. I worked up a pretty good sweat for a February 9th run. When I got home I checked the Weather Channel and it said that it was 66 degrees, with 47% humidity. What struck me was how it felt more like 76 degrees and 87% humidity. If we had a day like that in early September, with those exact conditions, I'd be jumping for joy. But put that same day in February and it's uncomfortable. I guess it's all about acclimation.

Our evening speedwork session was conducted at the junior high in New Territory. They have a really poorly maintained track that we prefer not to use, but the Austin high track was unavailable due to a soccer practice. I arrived at about 5:15 PM and Steve S. and Brian K. had both just arrived. We did one lap around the track to warm up then Brian took the lead for 400 repeat #1. We've been talking about adding something to our speedwork sessions in the way of quantity, so today we decided to do 9 400 repeats instead of the usual 8. This would work out pretty good because the three of us take turns leading a repeat anyway, and 9 repeats would be 3 a piece.

The workout was difficult, at least for me. I was really working hard to maintain the 1:20-1:21 pace that we were doing. Typically we'll do 1:18s and 1:19s so the 1:21s shouldn't have taken too much effort but they did. There was a pretty serious wind in our face on the back straightaway and the other guys seemed to be working pretty hard too so maybe it wasn't just me. Anyway, we did manage to get in 9 repeats of fast 400s, with a recovery 400 after each, plus the 400 at the start, for a total of roughly 4.75 miles. I say "roughly" becuase A) I know that four laps around a typical track isn't exactly a mile, and B) this track is pretty primitive and Spartan so it wouldn't surprise me if it was innacurate anyway.

The repeat times were: 1:21, 1:21, 1:21, 1:20, 1:21, 1:21, 1:21, 1:21, 1:21. Talk about consistency!

Total miles thus far this week - 32.5.

One side note. Both my running partners have really come a long way. Steve S. used to consistently run one 400 repeat that was significantly slower than the other 7, or sometimes he'd even sit one out. That's now a thing of the past. Steve hammered every 400 yesterday, and even posted a few 1:18s in there. And Brian K. has really committed himself to getting in his training milage every week as well as focusing on making each workout one of quality. He even did some mile repeats on his own the other day - 5:30s! And when I mentioned a long-run this weekend he was all for it. Our next "team" racing event should be interesting! I'm very fortunate to have not one but two guys who are as committed as I am to doing what it takes to be the best runner they can be.

1 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

those are some nice times for those 400s. nice!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home