Friday, February 24, 2006

About six months ago I became "cyber-active" in the local running community. I had been an active visitor and contributor to the message boards on Coolrunning.com, but that's a national site, and I was excited to learn that there was considerable on-line activity locally, and that I could participate and share my views. In fact, from early on I was encouraged to participate and share my opinion as much as possible, so that my experience as a self-trained and somewhat successful runner might benefit others. I was strongly encouraged to start this blog, and for the reasons enumerated in the last sentence, I did.

When it comes to running, or just about anything in life, I come from The School of No Excuses. Other than the anemia I suffered through, if I wasn't running well and getting better, it was because I wasn't trying (training) hard enough. I had no one to blame but myself. The times in my running career where I wasn't trying don't exist. Since I first laced 'em up over five years ago, I've been determined to be the best runner I can be, while reasonably juggling the other demands of my life, i.e. family, work, RR, etc. When asked recently to reflect on the person who most inspired me I could only answer that I'm most imspired by the fictional runner that I dream of being.

Now I realize that many, if not most runners don't necessarily approach running the way I do. I'm blessed to have two training partners, Steve S. and Brian K., who do. I doubt that there's much that I've written above that they'd disagree with. In more than three years training with Steve S. he has yet to bail out on a scheduled training run because he "just doesn't feel like it", or it was too hot/cold/windy, etc. and I don't think I have either. Outside of my running partners I still tend to engage with like-minded runners. At races I'm not stupid enough to think I belong in the same company with the likes of the Sean Wades and Louis Armenteros, but I do find myself talking to the Bonnie Jo Barrons, the John Yoders, the Kurt Peppers, the Bill Schroeders, etc. In other words, the people who are as dedicated as me (and more) to not just running, but running well.

Perhaps I've set myself up for an illusion - that most active runners/racers share the passion of the fine folks mentioned above, though they may be held back from reaching those peoples' level due to a simple lack of talent. In other words, I guess I misled myself to believe that most runners want to get better, and are willing to do what's necessary (within reason) to improve. I realize that at any given race, probably half the field consists of people who don't look at running the way I do. And that's okay. I know people who jog regularly, for health and weight reasons, and who might enter one race a year. At my old job, the founder of the company held a charity 5K each year, and it was common to see several of my co-workers suck it up and come out for the race, even though it was the only race they'd do all year. As I said, probably half the field at any given local race consists of folks like them. And, as I said, that's okay, and fine by me. But here's the deal - those people aren't actively involved in the running community and writing about running everyday.

When I was asked to share my passion for running and my running experience, I thought it was safe to assume that the person asking me to do so was sincere and truly wanted to hear what had worked for me, and led me to achive the things I've achieved. When someone asks for your insight, and asks you to share it with others, I think any reasonable person would safely assume that it will be okay to offer your insight and share it with others. But apparently I was wrong. It seems that the insight I'm to offer should consist of "attaboy, nice job, way to go", etc. regardless of whether I think the person could achieve more by doing something different. Well folks, I have one person in my life who is like that - my mom. My mom still thinks I'm five years old and that anything I do should be on the cover of the Houston Chronicle. Someone who doesn't even run can tell you, "good job". But like it says in the Bible, when I became a man I put away childish things. I no longer need a cheerleader, and find it surprising that others do. If I'm doing something wrong, and there's a better way, something that might improve Lance Collins, I want to know about it. I'm a bigboy and can take it. If any one of the local elite runners didn't train for several weeks, due to laziness, then went out and ran a 15 minute 5K, I'd be impressed at their natural talent, but would lose respect for them. You see, it's not what the clock says when you cross the finish line. Too many things beyond your control can affect your time - namely talent level and age. I'm much more impressed by the person who put their game face on six months before a half marathon and runs a 2:05, than the person who goofed off but managed a 1:40 simply because they're young, skinny, and have natural talent. The Steve Bezner story is so damned inspiring I think it should be a movie. And it's the greatest story I've ever seen or read involving running. And Steve isn't done. He's caught the fever and wants to do what's necessary to get faster. We've talked about him getting together with Steve S. and I for a training run because he wants to get faster and isn't afraid to find out ways to improve. And there are others who have asked me about speedwork, long-runs, cross-training, etc. Fortunately I haven't had to filter what I had to share, and go into cheerleader mode, and I think those folks appreciate it.

This boring monologue comes as a result of a tongue-in-cheek post that Steve S. made on a local running message board, and one which I followed up on, regarding the strange correlation between training and performance. No names were mentioned, and it's only about the third time in several months that Steve S. has dared to actually point out the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, i.e. runners run, and to get better you have to train. And it's probably the first time that I've publicly addressed the gorilla. We were essentially told to keep our comments to ourselves, unless of course, they're of the cheerleader variety. We were also told that people are tired of hearing it, which is strange, considering that as best as I can remember I've been content to ignore the gorilla for several months now. It also bears mentioning that virtually every time I venture into the "blogosphere", hardwork and dedication as a philosophy (the philosophy I embrace) is pretty much ignored. And by continually encouraging those who don't train, it's a de facto endorsement of the "no pain, good" approach to running. But more than that, it's actually a condemnation of the approach I take. So, if anyone is "tired of hearing it", and has a right to cry foul, it's me.

Now one might say, "well Lance, if you don't like it, don't read it". And they'd be right, to a point. But my response would be A) I was asked to provide my perspective, B) I think some people do appreciate it, and C) it just might be helping some runners, whether they realize it or not. In fact, on that last point, I know it is. But because I don't have the Stuart Smalley attitude when it comes to running I think it's clear that I need to move on and just post my thoughts here. I think at least that's still okay.



7 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

I see those 1:18s, 1:19s, 1:20s on those 400 repeats and I want to get there. I know others don't, can't or won't get there and it doesn't bother. I may not be able to get there.
I'm gonna try as much as I can. You know, depending on how much life interrupts my running.
Don't stop bloggin'.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edwin,
You either do or do not, there is no try. You will do.

SteveS

12:43 PM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

Dang it. I meant for that second sentence to read, "Your (not you're) 5K PR is one of the few, besides my own, that I can recite off the top of my head."

2:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you continue blogging too. I go through phases where I'm training hard, and others when I'm a hobbyjogger, but I read this blog, and I learn from your training too.

Rock on.
Keith.

8:33 AM  
Blogger E said...

I'm still a relatively new runner (14 months), I'm slow but want to get faster. I, for one, enjoy reading your blog because I find the training information interested - and inspiring.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lance:
you know who I am but I would rather stay anonymous. I am one, locally, that does value your opinions. sometimes, for me being a newer runner, it can be discouraging to hear negativity (or even constructive critisism) related to my running, but you know what?
I am better because of it.
Thank you for being who you are.
Don't change.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lance,

You are a jackass..

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home