Monday, September 03, 2007

Just Once A Month

I went out this morning to the Fired Up 5K here in Sugar Land. Not as a participant but as a spectator and cheerleader. Watched several Striders turn in fine performances on a tough morning that was anything but PR material. I left the race, like I leave all races, inspired and wanting to run. But family came first. I managed to catch about a 30 minute nap before we loaded up the boys and headed to grandma and grandpas' house in Spring.

After spending a few hours with the in-laws we headed south again, with a stop at Target, where I slept in the car with our 22 month old while my wife and our 4-year old shopped. I was still tired when we got home and so was my wife but she, like any dedicated runner strapped on her shoes and headed out for 4.2 miles while I watched the boys and gave them their baths. When she got back and finished her shower I pulled my semi-frozen bottles from the freezer and headed over to Greatwood for what I hoped would be 4 relatively fast trips around the 3.55 mile loop. An apology goes out to Steve Schroeder. Steve, I know I told you I'd give you a call but I wasn't sure when I'd get to run until the last minute, and wasn't sure what I'd be up to doing tonight. Shoulda called anyway - my bad.

I planted two 20 oz bottles of Amino Vital at the start but the temperature was very agreeable tonight, with a slight breeze. I felt well enough from the first step that I wanted to focus on doing something more agressive than easy, conversational pace even though I was doing a long-run. My split for the first loop was 25:02 (7:03 pace). I was encouraged because it was a pace I knew I could hold indefinitely. And I usually turn negative splits on the Greatwood loop, though I wasn't sure I could turn three negative splits with a 25:02 for a start.

The 2nd loop came in at 24:42 (6:57 pace). I knew I could probably match that on the 3rd loop but was iffy on doing that for two more. I tried not to think about it. One loop at a time, right? At a coupIe of markers on the 3rd loop I was right on top of my times from the 2nd loop but I had resigned myself to being happy to equal the 24:42 I had done in loop 2. I was surprised to look down as I hit the end to see a 24:34 (6:55 pace) on the watch for loop 3, and total time for 3 loops (10.65 miles) of 1:14:17 (6:58 pace).

I was pretty whipped at this point but knew I had to keep going because I'd hate myself if I didn't. I also had decided a couple of other things during loop 3. I was thinking about what constitutes a "long-run" and I decided that it's not the distance but how long you continuously run. Now even that's probably relative to what you're training for. A miler probably doesn't go any farther than 10 miles at one shot and I'm sure they're doing that in less than an hour. But for me I think at least 90 minutes is probably a good rule of thumb. This little conclusion meant that adding just a mile out and then back onto the end of my 3 loops wouldn't get me to 90 minutes. Thus I had no choice but to do the 4th loop. The second thing I realized during the 3rd loop was that I wasn't going to stop for a drink (and I hadn't up to that point). I really wanted 4 loops at a sub 7 pace and I wasn't sure I'd have enough breathing room if I stopped for a minute or more to down some fluids. And I really didn't think it was going to affect my performance anyway.

For the 4th loop I had essentially resigned myself to not getting a negative split but staying below a 7 minute pace. Through the first couple of markers I was at about where I'd been on loops 2 and 3 so that was encouraging. And at my last marker (.8 left to go), I was about 5 seconds ahead of loop 3. Time to let the dogs loose and empty the tank. My final loop came in at 24:19 (6:51 pace). I'd managed to do four loops fast, and turn negative splits on every one of them. It was an awesome run for me which brings me to the title of this post. Just once a month I need to have a run like this. But they're damned hard to come by. Minken, you shoulda been there.

Total distance for Monday (9/3) - 14.2 miles, 1 hour 38 minutes 37 seconds (6:57 pace).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing you did not call, I would have slowed you down.
SteveS

8:45 PM  
Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Nice run. I never got out after labor day activities.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome Lance! Great run! I am happy to report that I am doing this neat little thing called a "taper"...so I will have no choice for the next little while to read about and be inspired by runs like that one! However, it is so much more fulfilling to be going stride for stride! AWESOME!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home