Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday Tempo

In the old days my recovery runs were just aggressive enough to serve as a moderate tempo run for Steve. In the words of Roberto Duran, "No mas".

I met Steve today at the Greatwood loop for two loops - the usual 7.1 miles. I really needed recovery pace today. In fact, I probably needed a day off, but then I wouldn't be living up to my mantra of "Just Run, Dammit", now would I? I noticed from the outset that the pace was quick. I was working from step one. Steve had taken yesterday off so he was fresh. Just my luck after the hard workouts I put in over the weekend. He also looks at these Monday runs as something of quality, so the cards were stacked against my tired legs and spent lungs.

I kept with him and we turned 25:21 on the first loop - 7:08 pace. That might be recovery pace in John Yoder's book but not mine. I told Steve that at some point in the second loop I was going to have to let him go. We agreed that it would be the back turn, which is about 1.95 miles into the 3.55 mile loop. We got to that point and I willingly let Steve go without a second thought. After walking maybe 50 feet I was in better shape so I eased back into a decent pace, though not quite as fast as before.

I had no intention of turning a negative split, but actually came pretty close - 25:37 (7:13 pace). Steve finished about a minute ahead of me, turning in a rare sub 50 minute time for two loops. We're going to have some great training runs this fall.

Total distance Monday (8/21) - 7.1 miles, 50:58 (7:11 pace).

P.S. - I don't want to jinx it, but did anyone notice that it was a little cooler yesterday evening and today? The forecast for this week calls for highs around 91, 92. That's 10 degrees better than last week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lance, you jinxed it, now we're in for a week of 100+ highs, and it's all because of you.

Kidding!

Steeeve

6:14 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

oh i noticed it alright.

but then i also noticed this morning that frank billingsley was calling for higher temps come the weekend.

great going Lance, great going. ;o)

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home