Thursday, August 23, 2007

Speedwork, Round 2

I met Steve and Brian at the jr. high track in New Territory today at around 6 PM for 400 m repeats. I met Steve in the parking lot and pointed out the heat today, as well as a nasty wind we'd be dealing with. I told him we could go into the workout with expectations of our usual 1:17-1:19 range and potentially not even be able to complete our usual 8 repeats, or we could be realistic, target 1:20 to 1:24 range and maybe even do 9 repeats. He agreed with the latter scenario, and Brian did too when we told him what we had in mind. This would also play into my new strategy of trying to increase the distance covered in my speedwork sessions.

It worked out just like we planned, just like my workout yesterday. We had very little left in the tank when we were done but it didn't kill us. We did 9 fast repeats, with a full 400 jogging recovery after each. I even managed to go nearly all-out on the final 400, giving Brian a run for his money. I found out that you don't try to pass Brian on the final 400 halfway into it. I tried to go wide and just as I was about to move in front of him he must have said to himself, "Not today" (inside joke) and turned on the jets. He and Steve both have a gear that I just don't have. I'm no sprinter.

Total distance Thursday (8/23) - 4.75 miles. 400 times were: 1:24, 1:20, 1:23, 1:21, 1:23, 1:22, 1:21, 1:24, 1:11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home