Saturday, September 01, 2007

10K Then a 10 Mile Recovery

I raced a 10K this morning then did a 10.65 mile recovery run tonight. And no I'm not craaaaazy (dripping with sarcasm).

For the race this morning it was The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The Bad, and most important item was my finishing time. With a 39:15 in training this past week I marked that as my minimum acceptable time. Didn't happen. I went 39:37. That was the bad. The Good was that I still managed 3rd overall, and was first master. The Ugly was that there was no recognition for master. I was also the first American citizen across the finish line, as Junior Mitchell (Trinidad) won, and Juan Carlos Vielma (Venezuala) was 2nd. I guess an adendum to The Good was that I managed to hold off the fine masters runner Kurt Pepper from here in Sugar Land.

My strategy was to go no faster than a 6:15 first mile and that's what we did. I say "we" because Kurt and I kind of partnered for the first 4 miles. We hung right with each other, but not in a competive way, more as teammates. We even joked that we had our own little peletan going. I would draft off Kurt then he'd motion for me to take lead then he'd draft off me. We hit the 2nd mile in 6:16 but mile 3 strangely ballooned to 6:30 when Kurt and I both felt like we had maintained pace. In fact, mile 4 was 6:19, so maybe 3 was a bit long, who knows. Finally, just after mile 4 Kurt said he was going to hit the water station coming up and would try to catch up if he could. I kept going and didn't hear any steps behind me to indicate that he'd fallen back in stride. I took it as a lucky break at the time but Kurt told me later that if he wouldn't have stopped he'd have dropped off the pace anyway. This course was a big square that we had to run twice so it was a while before we made a corner and I could glance back to see behind me. Kurt was back there chugging along, maybe 50 or 60 feet behind me, but definitely not on my heels. I posted a 6:23 mile 5 but was hurtin', and was also having to deal with no one anywhere in sight in front of me. Just before the 6 mile mark we had another turn and I could see that Kurt had closed a little but was probably too far back to get me if I could just muster something respectable for the final .2. My mile 6 had been 6:30 or so. I did my best on the final .2 but really didn't speed up much according to the watch. It showed a 1:15 for the final .2 but it was good enough. Kurt came in about 4 or 5 seconds behind me. Then a young guy, about 18, then Avi Moss with a nice 40:twenty something. This is a good race that I recommend. Chip timed, not alot of turns, and totally flat.

Tonight I went over to Greatwood for a few laps around the loop. I was kind of targeting 4 loops (14.2 miles) but decided I'd had enough after 3 - 10.65 miles. The legs were spent and were stiffening up. I had a little left but probably not enough for another loop. I wish like hell though that I'd thought to do the mile out and back, for 12.65 miles. I don't know why I didn't think of that. It would have been perfect. Anyway, I never even thought of pushing the pace and was truly running what I felt like was a comfortable recovery pace but my splits were a bit faster than what I'd consider recovery pace. They were 26:09 (7:22 pace), 25:53 (7:17 pace), and 25:19 (7:08 pace). If the legs would have cooperated I might have gone negative on loop 4 for what would have been a heckuva 14.2 mile training run. But I'll take the 10.65 I did on the heels of the 10K this morning.

Total milage for Saturday (9/1) - 1 warmup + 6.2 + 10.65 = 17.85 miles.
10K time - 39:37 (6:23), 10.65 mile training run - 1:17:21 (7:16 pace)

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Good seeing you this morning Lance. Sounds like a tough go for a lot of runners this weekend and into today.

I thought I was done running for the day, but now I'm contemplating a recovery run as well after reading your blog.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home