Monday, July 30, 2007

Will It Ever Stop Raining?

Went 7.1 miles with Steve on the Greatwood loop today. It was raining when we started and still misting when we finished. I don't mind running in the rain - it keeps the temps down. But I don't like my shoes weighing 5 pounds each when I'm done.

Anyway, Steve and I had a really, really good run. We do this Monday run as a good tempo run each week and for the past few weeks we keep doing it faster each week. Three weeks ago it was a 53+ minute total, two weeks ago it was 51+ and last week it was 50+. But I knew we would probably eclipse that from early on. We hit the first mile in about 7:15 but the pace felt fine. We both had fresh legs as Steve didn't run at all yesterday and I did only the 4.4 last night, with Saturday off.

We hit the first loop in 25:26, a 7:10 pace. We almost always go faster the second loop so I knew we'd have a good overall time. We were running a little ahead of pace, like maybe 5 to 10 seconds per mile when we hit the back corner. It's at this point that you are farthest from the rec center where we start, as a crow flies. It's about 1.95 miles. Just after we turned the back corner Steve, who had been 5 to 10 feet behind me, came up next to me and went past. I asked him if he was feeling it but I don't remember his response. We kept up this stepped up pace through the next mile. Then, with about .6 to go, Steve, who had settled back behind me again but still running strong, made another move out in front. I knew I could maintain my current pace but didn't think I'd be able to dig much deeper. As Steve passed me he said what I thought was, "I'm gonna go". He told me later it was, "I'm gonna blow". He meant that to have a double-meaning. He was either going to blow on through to the finish, or blow-up! That's what I like about the two guys I train with - they never back down and are always challenging themselves and each other to dig a little deeper.

I hung with Steve as best I could, though he finished the second loop about 7 seconds ahead of me. I posted a 24:10 for the second loop, a 6:48 pace.

Then I went home and pushed our two boys (2 and 4 years old) in the double-jogging stroller behind my wife, who needed to get her run in before going out of town tomorrow.

Total distance today (Monday, 7/30/2007) - 7.1+3.5=10.6. Time/pace 49:37/6:59, and no time or pace on the run with wifey.

1 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

it didnt rain in Houston yesterday, ESPECIALLY in the late afternoon when I could have used it.

you guys are animals!!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home