Thursday, July 26, 2007

Man I Hate These

With the rain today we concluded that the track where we usually do speedwork would be slicker than grease and an accident waiting to happen. So we decided to do mile repeats. I've done these with Brian before but only once this season. They're the most brutal workout I've done. I mean, they freaking hurt. And we only do three of them, with about a 600 meter jogging (if we can) recovery. Steve joined us for his first exposure to mile repeats and he came through like a champ, though we were all whipped by the time we were done.

I led the first one and thought I was doing just the right pace - fairly aggressive but not so much that I'd go into serious oxygen debt. But a little over halfway in, Steve passed me and Brian got up shoulder to shoulder. I kept with my steady pace though and finished with a 5:47. Steve was well out in front. We did our slow jog recovery and Brian led us in the second one. I had just barely recovered when we took off so this one was a struggle. Steve stayed in his place this time but Brian took us through another strong mile. I posted a 5:50. All three of us were gassed after the second one so we walked a good bit of the recovery. I led us on mile #3 with Brian staying back a bit at the start so that he could really burn one without getting too far ahead. But he went past me at about the quarter mile mark and was threatening to really pull away so I had to pick it up to stay with him. I left it all out there and clocked a 5:37 to finish the workout. Man I hate these.

3 x 1 mile - times: 5:47, 5:50, 5:37. Total milage today (Thursday) - 5.75

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home