Thursday, June 08, 2006

Monday Through Today (Thursday)

On Monday I headed over to Memorial Park. I had a doctor appointment at 2:30 and figured I'd get over to the park at 4 or 4:30 but things went fast at the doc and I got to the park at 3:15. It's pretty deserted at that time of day and I was disappointed. I was hoping to see some familiar faces and maybe even find someone to run with. No cigars on both. And it was hottttt. I managed two loops but could have probably done three had I taken it at a little slower pace. My two loops were at 20:57 and 20:39.

Total distance : 5.8 miles, 41:36 (7:10 pace).


On Tuesday I met Brian K. to take another stab at mile repeats. I said last week that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so since I didn't die last week (though I came close!) I figured I should be able to handle them better this week. We did a little more of a warm-up than we did last week which was basically no warmup. We took off on the first one and everything felt fine but I felt like Brian was pushing the pace a bit (I was letting him lead). I told him of my concern and he said later that he eased off the pace a bit but I didn't sense it. About halfway through that first mile I started getting that sick feeling that I get in the last half mile of a 5K race. By the time we finished that first fast repeat I realized that there weren't going to be any repeats! I posted a 5:11, which translates to a 5:41 pace. We did our recovery interval and I know Brian expected me to have recovered enough to tackle another one but I hadn't. I told him good luck and sat down on the curb, feeling like I had let him and myself down. But I've always read that you should do mile repeats at your 5K race pace. I just did a 5K Saturday at a 5:58 pace. Brian did a 5:56 pace in that race. We have no business trying to burn 5:41s. There's no way we could hold that pace for a 5K so I think it's unrealistic for mile repeats. Brian bagged the rest of the mile repeats and we salvaged the day by running around 3 miles at a modest pace. It was a rare case of white-flag waving for me.

Total distance : 5.5 miles.


I took Wednesday off but worked out my legs pretty hard, especially on the squats. Brian and I had planned to do our normal track speedwork session on Thursday (today) but my wife was out of town and I had our two boys. So tonight I did speedwork on the .4 mile oval that I live on. I didn't get out there until 9 PM and the temperature had mercifully come down. I felt like I absolutely blasted the first .4 mile repeat but was surprised to see that I'd posted a 2:16. But the remaining 4 fast loops were solid. The repeat times were:

2:16, 2:09, 2:09, 2:09, 2:07.

Total distance : 3.6 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home