Monday, June 05, 2006

Saturday and Sunday Runs

On Saturday night I did an easy-pace 4 miles. Everything felt fine after the race that morning. Just wanted to get in some extra miles since I had had such a light week to that point.

Total distance : 4 miles.

On Sunday night I headed over to the 3.55 mile Greatwood loop to try to get in a long-run. I say "try" because when I do them alone it's easy to sometimes talk myself into excuses for why it's okay to cut it short before reaching my target milage. But I made my goal of 3 loops plus the mile out and back, although the first loop was kinda screwy.

The loop in Greatwood has quite a few trees along the path. The trees are fairly small, which makes them just the right height to have branches that want to grow about face level out into the path. As I got about half a mile into the first loop I noticed that some pretty large branches had been whacked off and were laying beside the path. I continued to see this for the next mile and a half. I was very relieved, as this is a constant annoyance during the warmer months. As I got to the 2 mile turn I saw the limb whacker in action up ahead on the trail. By this time it was dark but I could tell as I approached that the guy cutting down limbs that obstruct the path was none other than...Steve S., our running partner who is injured! Talk about doing everything he can to help the team. First he comes to the race Saturday morning and has to watch everyone else target a PR while he's targeting a curb to sit on, then he goes out and cuts limbs down for probably two hours to help clear our running route.

Anyway, I hit the split on my watch and stood and talked to him for several minutes. 7 minutes actually. Then I ran off only to realize about 45 seconds in that I needed to tell him something else so I went back. That took another 2 and a half minutes. So you can see why my first loop was screwy. My total time for the first loop, counting the two stops, was 35:38. After that I posted two pretty decent loops, 25:05 and 25:22 (a rare positive split, though I picked up my bottle and drank at the beginning of that third loop). The first mile out was at about the pace I'd been running at - 6:57. But for the final mile coming back in I decided to see what I had left in the tank after 11.65 miles. I hammered it pretty hard and finished with a 6:12 final mile.

Factoring out the first loop, I did the final 9.1 miles in 63:36, a 6:59 pace. But the total run looked like this:

Total distance : 12.65 miles, 1:39:14 (7:51 pace).

Total milage for the week ending 6/4 : 38.45

2 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

Can you ask Steve to come down to Angleton and cut some limbs? Mostly on Cannan, but also some on Crossing and Valderas. Maybe a few spots on Downing. That'd be fantastic.
Tell him thanks in advance.
That's pretty cool of him to do that. I think that's what I like about our group is that we're all willing to help each other and we're so supportive of each other. It's pretty cool.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home