Saturday, May 27, 2006

Friday And Saturday Runs

Last night I finally got in another long-run. You know how after a lot of runs you feel better than when you started? Like a million bucks? Last night was not one of those nights. This run was work from the first step to the last. If my body was a car, that little fuel light that flashes when you're about to run out of gas would have been on for the final two miles. Here are the details.

I went over to the 3.55 mile loop in Greatwood at about 7 PM. The Weather Channel showed Sugar Land at 87 degrees at about 6:30 so it probably didn't cool much by 7 - maybe a degree or two. I had to run alone as Steve S. is on the D.L. and Brian K. is out of town for the weekend. My plan was to do 3 loops plus a mile out and back at the end for a total of 12.65 miles. I dropped a bottle of Gatorade with ice in it near the start with the intention of drinking it after two loops (7.1 miles). And that's the way it worked out. I wasn't overly thirsty at the conclusion of 2 loops but experience has taught me that if I wait until the third loop is done, I'll be done too. So I picked it up and drank most of the 20 oz. while I walked. It took no more than 20 seconds or so and then I was off to complete the third loop. I naturally tried to bump the pace to compensate for the hydration stop. Halfway through the third loop I had made up for the stop but was getting tired. I really, really wanted to stop at the conclusion of three loops (10.65 miles) but forced msyelf to dig down. I did the mile out at a pretty steady pace, then turned around and finished the final mile as fast as I could. Here are the specifics of the run:

Loop 1 : 25:11 (7:06 pace)
Loop 2 : 24:45 (6:58 pace)
Loop 3 : 24:22 (6:51 pace)
Mile out : 6:41
Mile back : 6:26

Total distance : 12.65 miles, 1:27:26 (6:55 pace)

My running buddy, Steve S. drove by and honked as I was finishing the final mile. I wonder if I looked the way I felt.

Also, a big, big thanks go to my wife Susan. What an awesome lady I've been married to for 12 years now. Usually she and I (and our two little boys) go somehwere for dinner on Friday night. But with a full weekend scheduled, I told her that the only night I could get in a long-run was last night, and then I reminded her of my recent attempts to run after a big dinner. I told her all of this about 6:15 PM, thinking that I'd have to skip dinner and run at 8:30 PM after putting my son to bed. But she said, "go run - go now. I'll take care of the boys". She said she knew how tired (and hungry) I might be if I waited until 8:30. And then, when I got home at 8:45, she had a burger and onion rings from Sonic for me. Not the best post-run food in the world, but damn, it was good! She's really the best. And oh yeah, the boys were still up, so I got to give them both their baths and put the older one to bed anyway. We make a pretty good team.

And then this morning I did an easy recovery run. Or at least it was supposed to be easy. I didn't take my watch and never once tried to push the pace, but I was dying. I ran at 10:45 AM and it was very warm and sunny, and more humid than it is in the evening. And of course I was still feeling the effects of the run last night. It was all I could do to finish.

Total distance : 4.4 miles, no time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home