Saturday, May 13, 2006

7.1 In The Sun

I headed over to Greatwood this evening to try to get in a long-run on the 3.55 mile Greatwood loop. I started about 6 PM. The temp was 87 when I left the house but it wasn't take-your-breath-away hot. But it was sunny too. I kept telling myself that on the second loop (of the four that I planned to run) the sun would be significantly lower and there'd be more shade each loop, along with lower temperatures. I wasn't intending to worry about pace and didn't even check my watch until the 2.75 mile point of the first loop. I was expecting around a 21 to 21:30 time. I can conservatively cover the final .8 miles in 6 minutes so a first loop of 27 to 27:30 would be acceptable. I looked down at my watch at the 2.75 mile mark and instead of 21 or 21:30 I saw... 19:15. Ugh oh. But I really felt fine. I finished the first loop in 25:01 and kept on truckin'.

The sun appeared no lower and the temperature seemed no cooler on the second loop. I hit the 2.75 mile mark and looked at at my watch again. Another ugh oh. 18:56. I kept going, still feeling fine. But about another 2/10ths of a mile I suddenly felt like all the energy had been drained from me. Sort of a mild bonk I guess you could say. Since I had run well up to that point I decided to just hammer out the final half mile to the finish and wrap it up at two quality loops. I finished the second loop in 24:21.

Total distance : 7.1 miles, 49:22 (6:57 pace).

After this run today I'd say I'm pretty well acclimated to the heat.

Oh, bad news about Steve S. It turns out he has a stress fracture.

2 Comments:

Blogger WalkSports.com said...

That is the one thing that I've always worried about getting.

I'm at a loss for words other than that I hope that he'll be able to get back at it as soon as possible.

9:36 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

I hate hearing that about SteveS.
Nice runnin' for you.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home