Sunday, June 11, 2006

10 at 10

I headed out the door tonight with the intention of running 10.2 miles at a moderate pace. I can't tell you how many times last summer I set out to do this route but blew up due to the heat and wasn't able to finish. But it didn't seem too hot tonight - upper 70s I'd guess at 9:30 PM.

My first mile was 7:02 but the first mile is always the slowest of my various River Park routes, and Greatwood as well. I don't have every mile marker measured out on my routes, not by a long-shot, but by the time I got to 2.2 miles (one of the few distance markers I do have measured out) I was at a 6:46 overall pace, and by the time I got to 4.4 miles (another distance marker I've noted) I had dropped the overall pace to 6:40. Now it was time to hit cruise control.

I knew I was holding a strong pace because every mile felt like it was creeping right up to the edge of being too fast. But I have no more measurements on this 10.2 route beyond the 4.4 mile mark to check my pace until I get back to my house, which is 9.8 miles. Hence the cruise control perspective after the 4.4 mark. I hit that 9.8 mile mark at 1:04:51, a 6:37 pace, though I certainly didn't work that out in my head. But I knew I'd be in the 6:30-something range. To get from 9.8 to 10.2 I simply have to run the .4 mile oval that I live on and the one on which I often do speedwork. I burned the final .4 as best I could, completing it in 2:25 and pushing my total time to 1:07:15.

Total distance : 10.2 miles, 1:07:15 (6:36 pace).

Total milage for the week ending 06/11: 37.75

2 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

I want to run fast like that.

10:27 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

where are you?

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home