Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Solid Week Closes With A Solid Weekend With A Solid Runner

Despite taking a much deserved Friday off from running (I did do my weights though) I had a pretty solid weekend of training to wrap up a good week of training.

Saturday morning I met Brian at the Greatwood rec center for a planned 4 loop (14.2 mile) run. We had no target pace in mind, just wanted to get the miles in. The first loop came in at 26:27 (7:27 pace), which was a tad faster than we wanted to go but it felt allright. The second loop came in about 10 seconds slower. We had put down bottles with the intention of picking them up after 3 loops so that was the driving force behind finishing loop 3. Unfortunately for Brian he began to realize that a bathroom break was going to be a necessity at the break, and even worse, the rec center was closed, thus no bathroom. I bounced a couple of best-not-to-mention options off Brian but he declined and decided to head home. I should have offered him the sports section I had in my car and told him to figure out the rest. Anyway, after the 4:40 break at the end of loop 3 I went ahead and pounded out the last loop. It was a better time - 25:42 (7:14 pace). The total time came in at 1 hour, 50 minutes and 36 seconds, a 7:47 pace, even including the break. Any other morning and I wouldn't have been happy with that time at all (I've done it in 1:36:32) but I had no need to go long AND fast so it was all good.

Total miles Saturday: 14.2, 7:47 pace.


For Sunday I hooked up with Bret Ramsey, a guy I met last week at the Lunar Rendezvous. Bret is faster than me, and probably faster than I ever will be. He's in the mid 17s for 5K and did a 1:18 half marathon last Fall. I can only dream. We met at 6 PM at the Greatwood rec center but didn't do the loop. Instead we headed out a country road that veers out of Greatwood. I had never run out that way and had no way to know any distances, but I started my watch when we left the rec center and we turned around at about 38 minutes or so. We ran a pretty even pace and finished at 1 hour 16 minutes. I'd guess we were doing about a 7 minute pace, maybe 7:10, thus making the distance somewhere around 10.5 miles. Bret is a good guy and a great runner who I'm looking forward to running more with this fall.

Then when I got home I put our two little guys in the shower with me while the wife headed out to attempt her longest run to date - 6.7 miles. The plan was for her to do one loop here in New Territory while I showered and got the boys dressed then I was to load up the boys in the jogging stroller and head up to the loop to accompany her for loop 2 (it gets pretty dark on parts of the loop). That's how things worked out and I picked up a total of about 3.6 miles of easy, recovery jogging, watching my wife soldier on. She nailed it and is thrilled that she made it more than half the distance she'll have to cover for her half marathon and it's still July.

Total miles Sunday: 14.2 + 3.6.

Total miles this week: 59.75.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home