Sunday, July 29, 2007

Light Week

I took a light week this week, by design. I've averaged around 50 miles a week since early May and thought it would be a good idea to dial it back a bit this week to prevent injury and let my body fully absorb and embrace the training I've done. So, no long run this weekend, and two days off from running this week - Wednesday and Saturday.

I did run Friday night - 6.4 miles, plus a .15 mile warmup and .15 mile cooldown for a total of 6.7 miles. Nothing too terribly fast but a decent pace that felt fine. The 6.4 miles was done in 43:59, or a 6:52 pace.

Then tonight, Sunday night, I drove over to my old neighborhood to do the 4.4 mile route that I love. I've been running this route regularly since 2002, at my highs, at my lows, and all points in between. Therefore it's a great way to compare where I am with my fitness at any given point to where I've been in the past. Until last year my all-time best time on this route was 27 flat, or a 6:08 pace. Then last May I went Bob Beamon on it and posted a time that I thought was an hallucination - 26:30, or a 6:01 pace. I remember that I was at a 6:03 pace at the turn and went 5:59 on the 2.2 miles coming back. It was sweet but I don't know if I'll ever beat it. When I do (if I do!) I think I'll truly be able to say that I'm in the best shape I've ever been in.

I tried to beat it tonight but came up short. I hit the first mile at about 6:05 (no worry on this course though if the first mile slower than goal pace - that's normal) but halfway into the 2nd mile I was starting to think I wouldn't be able to hold it all the way to the end. As this feeling increased and I got closer to the turn I decided to just hammer away and go all out to the turn. I put everything I had into the final quarter mile and posted a 13:12 for 2.2 miles. Exactly a 6 minute pace. I walked a bit after turning around then jogged on back, taking it easy and trying to catch my breath.

Am I happy with the 13.2? No, not really. I need to be able to hold that pace all the way through - I've done it before. And if I'm only going to go 2.2 miles I need to be down around 5:45 or 5:50, not 6 flat. Heck, I went 6:01 for my last 5K. Anyway, I'll probably take another crack at it next week. I'd rather do another 27 flat and do the whole thing than compromise and do a semi-fast 2.2, with a jogging return.

Total miles today (Sunday) - 4.5. Total miles for the week, 29.55.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home