Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Slip Sliding Away

That's what my fitness level has been doing, slip sliding away. As I stated in my last post, if I don't have anything good to report I tend not to post.

The last six weeks have sucked for running. First I couldn't run for four weeks because of the pulled muscle/cracked rib in my side from the work I did out at Rice U. Then a couple of weeks ago my right hamstring and the muscle going across my glute were really tight. Not sore or painful just really tight, like I needed to do about two hours of stretching. I'm sure it was from all the work I did replacing the tile in our entryway and kitchen. Then this past Sunday I caught a cold and felt like crap the last couple of days.

The cold was better today and my leg wasn't too tight, and the pain in my side is virtually gone, so I laced 'em up and headed out around 7:45 PM for some miles. It's amazing how much fitness I've lost in just six weeks. I tried to keep a good steady pace and did manage to run negative splits. But I did 7.19 miles at a disappointing 7:27 pace. I've got some work to do. I'm signed up for the 1/2 marathon a week from this Sunday but don't know if I can even equal my underwhelming 1:28 last year. Probably not if tonight is any indication. I've got like, what, 10 days to get in shape? Sure.

What a shame. I was on a roll. But if there's any bright side, I was about at this point a year ago and still managed a 1:23 1/2 at Chevron Houston. But I don't see going to Dallas in December and trying to lower my marathon PR. Like I said, what a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home