Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Speedwork - 08/24/09

With some races on the calendar and my schedule weekend after this one I want to fine tune my speed and overall fitness these next two weeks. With that in mind I plan two speedwork sessions this week as well as 60+ miles.

Tonight I went over to the .4 mile oval for some interval work. It's been awhile since I've done these (a couple of months) and since they were the first speedwork I ever did I have a long history with this oval, which makes it an ideal gauge for my fitness. My best lap on the oval is a 2:04 a couple of years ago, and when I did this workout regularly I got to where I could get most if not all six of the laps down to 2:10 or better. But given that I haven't done these in some time I wasn't expecting anything like that. But I did do better than I expected.

When I got to the oval there was a sprinkler on in someone's yard that would have drenched me each time I went around so instead of doing a 4 mile cool-down I decided to do a 4 mile warmup. By the time I got back I was warmed up plenty and the sprinkler was off. Time to rev the engine. Here are the six fast .4s that I did, with a .2 jogging interval in between:

2:13
2:09
2:13
2:12
2:12
2:05

I left it all out there on that last one. Everything felt great tonight and I was pleased that I was able to find the energy at 8:30 PM to get these done. Easy miles tomorrow followed by more speedwork on Wednesday or Thursday.

5 Comments:

Anonymous junebug said...

what races are on your calendar Lance? inquiring minds want to know!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

June, Labor Day weekend I'm either doing the BENeezy 10K in Alvin on Saturday or the Fired Up 5K on Monday, or both.

4:43 AM  
Anonymous junebug said...

i thought the fired up was cancelled? at least thats what i was told; that it was no more :(

6:01 AM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

June, I think you're right! I couldn't find the race anywhere online. Dang, that stinks. Guess I'm doing BENeezy for sure now.

Thanks for the heads up.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous junebug said...

no problem. i wanted to run it too. then bez told me it was no longer an option.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home