Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hard Work Pays

Most of you who read my blog or know me know that my philosophy about running is that generally if you pay your dues you'll be rewarded. Lord knows there are exceptions and head-scratching race performances, and I've had plenty. But overall if I've worked hard and got my ducks in a row, good things usually happen on race day. These past few weeks are a good example.


Last week I detailed my week and mentioned that I did 60 miles of training, with two speed work sessions, runs in the heat, a long-run, etc. This past week I did 6.5 miles on Monday (it hit 99 on Monday) at 5:15 PM. Then on Tuesday night at 8:45 PM I went out and did mile repeats when the temps weren't so bad. I did four, with a .4 mile jogging recovery after each, and they were all good quality, with no drop off in the pace from the first to the last. The times were (in order): 5:52, 5:51, 5:54, 5:51. Wednesday we did our 400 repeats at the track but took it easy on the pace, posting mostly 1:22s and 1:23s. I also did three sets of squats Wednesday night, which gave my legs two and a half days to recover. Thursday I took the day off since I was planning to race the Lunar Rendezvous Saturday morning. But I did go out Friday morning before work and got in 3.5 miles and wore a long-sleeve cotton shirt just to make sure I didn't get too comfortable.

Saturday morning I set out for the 5K with all systems go. Even my weight was right where I wanted it to be. And it all paid off. I posted my third best 5K ever and picked up 2nd in the 45-49 age group. My time was an 18:16, which averages to just about what I averaged when I did the mile repeats.

I plan to have another big milage week this week (60+) and will take advantage of the cooler temps that are forecast to try to get in some quality tempo work. I'm also going to do the mile repeats again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, Lance. Running your 3rd-best 5K the middle of one of hottest summers in Houston history is pretty stout. This should give you a boost in the unofficial summer ROTS standings.

Tuan

8:53 AM  
Blogger Bert said...

Yes Lance it is exceptional to be running close to your PR this summer; most people are well of their best times by 20 to 30 seconds, due to the heat. Well done.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Brian Belger said...

Nice work Lance! I see you are in for Houston's marry, I'll look for you.

Regards, Brian

7:17 PM  
Blogger elf said...

Rock on, Lance--good to see that the hard work is paying off!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Wonderduck said...

That may have been your 3rd fastest, but it was likely your best 5K. Very impressive in these summer days.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home