Monday, May 18, 2009

Beach To Bay Marathon Relay - 05/16

I headed down to Corpus Christi on Friday to run on a mens masters team in the Beach To Bay Marathon Relay Saturday morning. My teammates, in the order that we ran, were:

Doug Schroeder
Assynt McCleod
me
Tommy King
Peja Bojovic
Thorleif Egeli

Call us the all European team. We had the nation of Germany represented, Scotland, Ireland (me), Serbia, and Norway. I don't know where Tommy's ancestry is from so not sure about him but I'm pretty sure he's not African, Australian, South American, or Asian. Anyway, we had a great team, composed entirely of Houston Striders, and finished 12th overall, and 2nd in the mens masters division. Our finishing time was 2:44:03, exactly three minutes behind the Tornados team. I'm pretty sure everyone on the team left it all out there and I'm proud of every guy I ran with and to run with them all. A great time was had at the post-race party (the best of any race I've ever done) and I made a couple of new friends from The Striders, the two guys I roomed with - Bob Schamus and Bill Blancett. Bill's team, composed of three Striders and three non-Striders, finished 2nd overall. And Bob's mixed masters team finished 2nd in their category too.

My leg went well enough, though I had positive splits and officially was the guy who gave up our lead to the Tornados when I got passed by John Ackerman. Oh well, I did what I could. My overall pace for the 4.31 was 6:19.

1 Comments:

Blogger Minken said...

Great result for your team! A 6:18 pace over that bridge is a mighty fine day at the track if you ask me. Congratulations to you guys!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home