Sunday, April 05, 2009

Since Tuesday

In the two days following my hard 14 miler last Tuesday I was pretty whipped so I ran only 5 on Wednesday at an easy pace, and only 4.05 on Thursday, similar pace. I had registered a few weeks ago for the Bellaire Trolly Run 5K Saturday morning, but since I haven't been racing well, and thought a long-run would do me more good for Boston than a 5K, I opted for a long-run on Friday night. Having gone only 21 on my last one I wanted to go farther, just to prepare my body for the three hours of pounding it will have to endure.

So feeling pretty good on Friday I set out at about 7:30 PM for a 23 miler. Since the farthest I can go on my out-and-back is 10.5 I had to do a mile before I got started. I stopped once on the way out for a short bathroom break and hit the turnaround at 1:29:26, about a 7:47 pace. I stopped twice on the way back - once at about 12.5 miles to eat some sport gummy bears I packed along, and the second time at the elementary school water fountain. But my pace was quicker on the return, which was the plan. But I must admit, when I got to the end of the out-and-back, having already run 22 miles, it was very difficult to talk myself into that last mile to get to 23, especially since my house was within a block. But I figured the suffering I'd endure that last mile was just a precursor for Boston so I got it done. Did the 11.5 mile second half in 1:26:33, a 7:31 pace.

I didn't run at all yesterday but tonight met Brian King over at the Greatwood loop (3.55 miles) for a couple of aggressive laps around it. We ran the first one in 24:55, about a 7:01 pace, but smoked the second one in 23:17, a 6:33 pace, and a final mile of 6:15. Felt like my old self again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lance,
I couldn't believe all the nasty things that Schroeder was saying about you on Saturday for skipping Bellaire Trolley Run, you know, missing body parts, etc. Now I do.:-))
Didn't know that you were aiming for Boston. There is no need to kill yourself in a 5K so close to Boston. Looks like you're back on track. We'll look for you on TV. Just don't try to run w/ the lead women and ruin your race, like a really fast runner here a few years back.

Tuan

6:56 AM  
Blogger Steeeve said...

I agree with Tuan, don't hang back ogling the lead women. Oh wait, they start half an hour earlier, so it's moot.

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home