Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Post Marathon Recap

Since the marathon a little more than two weeks ago I haven't been able to get in the training that I had planned but then I didn't really plan much in the way of recovery and I'm lucky I didn't end up paying for that decision.

After the marathon I took the following Monday and Tuesday off but went nearly 8 miles that Wednesday with Steve, though at a comfortable pace. On Thursday we did speedwork and the calfs were sore. On Saturday I went out to see what I could dredge up for the Park to Park 5 Miler. I got slower each mile and obviously wasn't fully recovered from the marathon. And the calfs were still very sore. I took Sunday off then tried to run on Monday, 8 days after the marathon, but the calfs were still tender so I headed home after a mile or two. I took the next day off and tried to do speedwork Wednesday night of last week but wasn't able to complete the workout because my calfs still hurt. Given the injury I suffered last summer that sidelined me for 3 months, I was very nervous about whether it was just soreness or the onset of an injury.

So I took Thursday and Friday off and was able to run 8 miles on Saturday without pain. Sunday I went 10 miles, again with no pain. But then my wife went to Boston for work so I wasn't able to do anything last night but play Mr. Mom with my two little buddies. Tonight, after they went to bed, I hooked up the old baby monitor that we haven't used in two years, put it on the porch, turned it up to max volume, then ran laps around the .24 mile loop I live on. It was boring but I got in six miles and mixed in some speedwork.

I should be able to get a workout in tomorrow night and go long this coming Saturday morning. Anyone up for joining me for 22 or so, 7:30 pace or better out here in Sugar Land? Chris R.?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to have joined you, but hammered a long tempo run this morning. Will need to recover tomorrow and plan to run long here on Sunday. Let's do it sometime soon though.

Chris

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home