Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Runnin' And Visiting With Leno

After five easy miles last night just to make sure everything was in working order, I headed over to Memorial Park today after work to get in something of better quality. I was hoping to hook up with someone who could help me push.

I headed clockwise and soon saw Leno Rios going the other direction. I hammered this first loop all the way through, just because it felt good and I wanted to shake any rust off the legs. Did the 2.9 mile loop in 18:37, then took a cool-down breather and started jogging another one. I saw Leno again and asked him if he wouldn't mind some company. He waved me over to join him so I turned around and we had a good 20+ minutes to catch up on things. It's probably the most I've ever continuously talked with Leno and it was a real pleasure. He's a great runner, a great guy, and gives back way more to the running community than he receives from it.

After the second loop (and first with Leno) he told me he wanted to open it up and hit low six on the next mile or so. I hung with Leno for about 3/4 of a mile before I backed off of the 6:04 pace he was pushing. That first loop had not left enough in the tank to keep it up longer than what I did. I eventually hooked back up with Leno for the final mile or so of the loop and we visited more, and were still talking when the loop was over and I needed to head home.

It was a good workout of 9+ miles today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home