Thursday, January 01, 2009

It Wasn't Fun But It Was What I Needed

I haven't been overly pleased with my training lately, mostly the inconsistency. Been working alot and alot going on outside of work and there have been days where training had to take a back seat. And yesterday, with a party to go to last night and me not being able to get home from work much earlier than 6 PM in the best of circumstances, I wasn't sure what I'd be able to work in before we went out, if I was able to work in anything at all. But after finding out that the party didn't start until 8 PM and getting the okay from my wife, I planned a 10 mile tempo run for as soon as I got home.

In order to save time I decided to just do the 3.19 New Territory loop here where I live. Including the .11 between my house and the loop I'd still need to tack on a run around the block at the end to get to 10. I grabbed a cup of coffee on the way home from the office just to prevent any motivation issues from popping up. I wouldn't say I was overly eager to hit it hard when I headed out the door, but if there's one upside to not getting in enough miles, when you are finally able to run your legs have a nice spring in them.

I took off and was immediately sub-7 in my pace, which was definitely where I wanted to be. Here are the mile splits:

6:47
6:39
6:35
6:33
6:33
6:35
6:34
6:29
6:31
6:27

Total time 1:05:41, 6:34 pace.

I couldn't have gone much faster and this was a great confidence run for the half marathon on the 18th. The New Territory loop is not pancake flat and last night wasn't a race, so hopefully I can hold a 6:29 pace or better for the 1/2 and get that sub 1:25 I'm targeting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great workout, Lance.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to sign the previous post. That was me, Tuan.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home