Monday, December 29, 2008

Week In Review

Sorry I haven't blogged lately. I've been too busy to do it and you've probably been too busy to read it so we're okay. Since that hard 20 miler with Brian a week ago Saturday I've been very sluggish. I've heard of recovery days but not recovery weeks, but I guess that's what I had. Only got in 27 miles, although they were almost all quality miles, which is good I guess, if you're going to have a recovery week.

The day after the 20 miler (a week ago yesteday) I did an easy 5 mile recovery run during the day. Then Monday night I could only manage to get out for a 3.5 mile run, but I hammered it. Didn't wear the Garmin or the stopwatch so not sure how fast I went but it was red-line material all the way. Felt great. Then Tuesday I was very tired and just didn't feel like running. On Christmas eve I did 5.37 miles in my mom's neighborhood in Spring and again, hammered it good. Miles three, four and five were all 6:25s and my overall pace for the 5.37 was 6:32. But again on Thursday (Christmas Day) I was feeling run down again all day and just couldn't make myself go out for any milage. But on Friday I made my way out for some speedwork here in New Territory. There's a walking/jogging path that goes three quarters of the way around a lake in the center of New Territory. From end to end it's about .7 miles. I've done speedwork on this path once before but discovered something pretty cool about it the other day. At the end of the path, if I just keep going through the neighborhood on the sidewalk I can get back to the beginning and make a complete loop. The distance to get back to the beginning is about .35 so I can take a nice little walking/jogging recovery and do another one, same direction. No more getting to the end, walking around in a circle, then starting back the other way. So that's what I did on Friday - four fast .7s, with the final one working out to a 5:48 pace, though of course it wasn't a full mile.

I wrapped up the week with a quality 8 mile run on Saturday at an overall pace of 6:56. But no real distance in the week. This next week I need to put in a good 10 or 12 mile tempo run and of course more speedwork. That's the element that's been missing from my training and there's precious little time left before the half marathon I'm running here at the Houston Marathon. I don't expect to equal my 1:23:29 from October '07 but would like to be sub 1:25 if possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home