Monday, November 24, 2008

Irregular Intervals

No, they're not the latest cutting-edge training technique, though I guess they could become that. That's simply the best way to describe the speedwork I did this evening.

I live just off a 3.82 mile loop around my neighborhood. There are several blocks that make up this loop, some longer than others, divided by roads that lead into the interior of the loop. I decided to do speedwork on the loop and let the irregular block lengths be my "laps". I covered one block to warm up then took off on the next block, not letting up until the block was over. Then I recovered on the next block, then fast on the one after that, etc. I managed seven fast laps and covered a total of about 4 miles. Here are the lap details:

.38 miles - 2:10 (5:43 pace)
.19 miles - 1:03 (5:40 pace)
.37 miles - 2:04 (5:33 pace)
.18 miles - :60 (5:24 pace)
.25 miles - 1:22 (5:27 pace)
.31 miles - 1:40 (5:26 pace)
.30 miles - 1:41 (5:41 pace)

The recovery blocks were more consistent in distance - all were around .25 to .3 miles at a 9 minute plus pace. This was an interesting and challenging way to do speedwork because even though I run this loop pretty regularly I don't pay much attention to how long most of the blocks are and since the loop curves I was rarely able to see how far I had to go before I could let up. Very challenging. I would like a longer one or two in there though. But I guess I could combine a couple of blocks next time to get one over half a mile in length.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home