Monday, November 03, 2008

Since The Half Marathon

Last Monday I wisely took the day off to recover from the half marathon the previous day. The calfs were sore and the last time I ran on a sore calf I was out for 11 weeks.

-I hit the road on Tuesday, 5.5 miles after work along White Oak Bayou in the very cool temps and felt great. 7:10 pace.

-On Wednesday I went out for some speedwork - 4 repeats of about .55 miles each. Pace was around 6:00.

-On Thursday I had too much going on and had to take the day off. But on Friday night I went out for 10 miles (actually 9.96) over in my old neighborhood. It felt good to go long and relatively fast - a 6:58 pace, with a final mile of 6:29. The amazing thing about that run was that here were my first seven mile splits: 7:04, 7:03, 7:05, 7:06, 7:05, 7:08, 7:00. How's that for dialing in?
On Saturday we had a full day again, including me being tied up in a computer class most of the day, then across town for dinner and drinks with friends. Got home at 12:30 AM so no running early the next morning.

-I did get out the door Sunday around 9:30 AM for what I hoped would be an easy 15 or 16 mile long-run. It didn't quite work out that way because I wasn't really prepared for the warm temperatures and bright sunshine. I stopped at the park n the out-and-back course which is at about 5.4 miles for a drink of water. I wisely decided to head back toward the house, figuring if I still had some starch in me I could do a lap around the neighborhood to pick up any milage I still felt like getting. But I called it quits as I approached home. I hit 10.80 miles in a 7:19 pace.

-Tonight I went out for speedwork again, on the .4 mile oval where I used to live. My splits were: 2:22, 2:19, 2:15, 2:16, 2:14, 2:10. It was a nice feeling of accomplishment to get in six repeats, my goal, and at pretty decent times. I just need to shave about five or six seconds off each one of these and I'll be back near peak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home