Monday, June 23, 2008

Three Days, Three Runs To Report

On Friday night Steve Schroeder, Brian King and I went out for what's become nearly a weekly long-run of 14+ miles. We intend to keep it up through the summer so that 18 to 20 mile long-runs will be old hat come fall. I read last fall that to target an aggressive marathon pace you need to have 6-8 long-runs of 20 miles or more under your belt before toeing the line. I think few of us can say we've done that - I know I've never managed that many.

Anyway, we went 16.01 miles at a 7:43 pace, including two water stops. It was a piece of cake really.

I took Saturday off, mainly because I was busy all day helping my sister-in-law move. I felt like I had run a marathon at the end of the day so I didn't think I needed anymore milage.

On Sunday afternoon I went out at 1:20 PM to work on my acclimation (and tan!) in the blazing sun. I went 3.43 miles and probably couldn't have made to four miles. But it was a good experience and good for heat resistance. Then the family and I went over to Steve's house for his daughter's birthday party. During the party Steve mentioned that he was going to run later that evening. I mentioned that I was hoping to get in something of quality later. At about 7 PM Steve called me to see if I had gone yet. I told him I hadn't and he was welcomed to join me, but that it would be aggressive. He said no problem and we agreed to meet at our old stomping grounds, the 3.53 mile Greatwood loop, for twice around.

We knocked out a first loop in 24:34, a brisk but not terribly uncomfortable 6:57 pace on a not too fast course. The pace picked up as soon as we got into the second loop and we became less conversational. We were dipping deeper into the sub-seven pool and getting faster each mile. After about 1.5 miles I told him we had two miles of hard-hat running then it would be over and we could look back at a solid workout. There wasn't much talking after that as the pace continued to dip.

I covered the final .8 miles at a 6:06 pace and finished loop two in 23:02, one of the three or four fastest loops I've ever done. The two loop total came in at 47:36. It's a rare day that I've covered two loops in under 48 minutes and it sure felt good (once I was done). Who says you can't run hard in the summer?

1 Comments:

Blogger Minken said...

You are like Mr. Yoder...you just keep getting faster, and faster, and faster...I just may chicken out of our run in July!

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home