Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week To Date

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while. I'm going to try to do a better job and at least post the bare essentials of my training and racing.

Starting with this past Sunday I did 15.95 miles Sunday evening at around 7:30 PM, 7:52 pace, two short stops for water that are included in the overall pace. Ran this workout with Steve Schroeder. Nice long relaxed run, good conversation.

Monday I did 8.89 miles here in New Territory with Assynt Macleod at around 7:45 PM. Actually I ran half a mile to get to where Assynt was waiting, then half a mile home when we were done so I did 7.89 with him and 1.0 on my own. Overall pace was 7:39 including one stop for hydration.

Tonight I did my mile repeats. I've been pretty demoralized regarding these ever since I got a Garmin a few weeks back and got an accurate measurement that showed my one mile route to be a bit short. We knew originally that the figure eight course we do these on was about .9 miles but we had added some distance to make it a mile. Apparently not enough. In surrender mode I decided to just do the old .9 (actually .91) route four times fast. Here are the times and what they convert into for one mile:

5:27 (5:59)
5:22 (5:54)
5:21 (5:53)
5:27 (5:59)

As far as racing goes, I've done two 5Ks in the past two weekends - The Astros Race For The Pennant 5K and the Heights 5K. I placed first in my age group at the Astros race but that was more of a matter of who showed up and who didn't rather than any special performance by me. In fact, I ran 20 seconds faster this past weekend at Heights and finished 4th in my age group. But I did get a pair of Asics for the age group award for the Astros race so I'll take it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hell yeah! Free shoes rock!!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Minken said...

Jack Daniels discussed this as one of his 'keys to success' with the Striders last year - I believe he called this the 'keep your eye on the prize' element of success. I believe it was this element of success that led him to an olympic silver medal (if my memory serves me correctly).
Nice running Lance!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home