Sunday, May 18, 2008

Beach To Bay Marathon Relay

I participated in the Beach To Bay Marathon Relay down in Corpus that past weekend. I was team captain of a team of mens masters, all but one of us from the Houston Striders. We had some quality runners on our team, let me tell you. Here was our line-up, in order of leg run:

Assynt Macleod, new to this country and new to The Striders, from Scotland
me
John Hill
Gene Mitchell
Predrag Bojovic, our other international runner, all the way from Serbia
Doug Schroeder

We finished in 2:41:15, good enough for 2nd in the mens masters division and 20th overall I think. We also managed to hold off another strong team from Houston that featured Sim Cuevas, Matt Nicol, Mike Crowley, Kevin Regis, Jose Reyes, and Jack McClintic.

I guess you could say Gene Mitchell was our ringer (in addition to Mr. 2:40 at Houston - John Hill), but that wasn't necessarily my intent. I asked him to be on the team because I just couldn't find anyone else who could do it and I never dreamed he'd agree. Gene has a 2:20 marathon PR and set the masters course record at the Park to Park 5 miler in February. He turned out to be a nice guy too and wants to do the race again next year.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Lance! I'm glad that I am not old and have to race against you guys!!!! ;)

11:26 PM  
Blogger Wonderduck said...

Sounds like I would have slowed your team down quite a bit! Great job. How freaking fast did the Masters winning team run?

7:32 AM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

Winning masters team ran 2:25 I think.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Steeeve said...

Anal boy here. 2:26, 4th overall. Bunch of Kenyans hired by that Zapata fellow. So, don't think y'all could have caught them even with The Duck on the team. Absolutely tremendous run by y'all.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Born2Run said...

Zapata Roadrunners Masters Team consisted of the following runners:

Rogelio Salinas
Jackson Kipngok
Reuben Chesang
Martin Rodriquez
Ovidio Castilla
Gilbert Perez

Their was only two kenyans on the masters team and no one got paid. Their time was 2:26:30

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

born2run thanks for the names of the winning masters mens team. A quick search on athlinks shows that 4 of those guys are very talented. Very interesting reading.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home