Saturday, November 29, 2008

A True Progression Run Today

I met Brian King at 6 AM this morning for a run. Our plan was four times around the 3.55 mile Greatwood loop, with each loop being faster than the previous, and all of them pretty aggressive. It was warmer and more humid than I would have liked but oh well.

We took off and covered the first loop in 25:10, around a 7:06 pace, and just about where we wanted to be. The second loop was a little tougher, especially since I'm not used to going long as well as fast early in the morning. The second loop was 24:48 and I was not looking forward to another two even faster. The third one was a solid 24:24 and then it was game on for the final 3.55 mile loop. We were ahead of loop three's pace through mile one and also at mile two, and well ahead at the last turn with .8 to go. I had told Brian that we should stay together to the back corner, which is about two miles into the loop, then it was every man for himself. Brian began drifting ahead at that point and by the .8-to-go mark he was about 30 -40 feet in front me. We both hammered down that final stretch but Brian continued to pull away. He finished the final loop about 18 seconds before me, as I came in with a 23:28.

We did exactly what we planned to do this morning, which is gratifying in itself, and in the process set our new all-time best four loop time of 1:37:50 (6:53 pace) for me, and 1:37:32 (6:52 pace) for Brian. And as I've mentioned before, this isn't exactly a straight, flat course. It was a great training run but certainly no fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home