Saturday, January 24, 2009

Long Cold Solo Run

With Steve Schroeder injured and going skiing anyway, and Brian King one week removed from the marathon, both of my usual running partners were not available for a long-run this morning. I called Scott Grischow, who was up for some milage but not 20+. I thought about going down to Memorial Park and hooking up with a group that I know runs long down there every Saturday morning, but passed on that idea for a variety of reasons.

So I headed out solo at about 7:30, once my wife got up and could take over with the kiddos. My plan was to go out on our out-and-back course as far as it would take me then come back. I realized a couple of miles into the run that I was under-dressed. I had on a long-sleeve tech fabric shirt, shorts, gloves, and a cap. The wind was steady and cold out of the north but at my back going out the first five miles or so. At 5.4 miles the course turns and I had a cross-wind to deal with for the next nearly five miles. I got all the way to Highway 6 (10.25 miles out) and actually could have turned south and kept going, but decided that if I needed any extra milage I'd better do it closer to home. Before I even got to the turnaround my hands were like ice even though I had on gloves and had pulled my sleeves over my hands.

I hit the park for water and to get out of the wind for a sec then headed back into it. Once I got back to where I'd normally turn off, and with my hands numb from the cold, I went ahead and did 1/2 a mile down to the intersection then headed back. This allowed me to cover a total of 21.53 cold, miserable miles at a 7:26 pace, including two stops, one short one and about two minutes long.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lance,
Thanks for the kind words...It was a pleasure talking to you during our run...as you stated we tend not to talk alot during workouts but made an exception this time. 5 of us screwed up and didn't register for Boston even though we had flights and hotels. So guess won't be seeing you there this yr.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home