Friday, February 29, 2008

Back To Back Speedwork

If I'm going to do two speedwork sessions a week I realize it's probably not prudent to do them on consecutive days. However, until I analyze my routine and re-structure it, it's going to happen from time to time, as it did between yesterday and today.

I met Steve Schroeder at the junior high track yesterday evening for our normal 400x12 repeats. Our times were decent but we weren't intent on setting any records or anything. Here are my splits:

1:23, 1:19, 1:18, 1:18, 1:18, 1:17, 1:18, 1:17, 1:19, 1:19, 1:18, 1:13


Then today at lunch I went and did mile repeats. I haven't done these in probably six months. Man I hate these. I had every intention of doing four but given that I'm not used to them and I just did speedwork yesterday I had to settle for three (sorry Brian, I know four is the magic number - I'll get there). I also wasn't in the mood for speedwork either, and mindset has a lot to do with it.

My times weren't bad though, and the pace didn't seem too awfully fast. I was just too fatigued to do a fourth, even though my recovery was only half a mile, not the old full mile jog we used to do. Anyway, here are my splits for the three mile repeats:

5:45, 5:48, 5:50

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack Daniels writes some interesting things in his book about doing back to back speed/quality workouts. He points out that it is often necessary to get in your quality workouts in this fashion to allow yourself enough rest time before and after your competition (if you are racing every week). If it works for you, it might allow for more recovery and rest before and after you tear it up at some local Houston 5km/10km!!

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home