Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Reviewing The Last Few Days

After my speedwork last Thursday I took Friday off in preparation for the Strider's Longest Long Run that was held last Saturday. I ran 21.5 miles at a consistent 7:25 or so pace, though I don't have exact numbers. I ran much of the route with David Minken and Matt Wright. It was easy-paced conversational mode. I had a few aches and pains during the run, but nothing alarming, and all were fine the next day. I skipped Sunday in order to recover, then did 7.3 miles (tempo paced but not timed) on Monday, Christmas eve. On Christmas day I managed to get away from the house for 5.1 miles at an easy pace.

Today my running buddies, Steve Schroeder and Brian King, are joining me to attempt something I've only done once before - 2 Greatwood loops plus the mile out and back in under an hour. Brian King thought of this challenge two years ago when, at the time, our best time was 1:03 something. He and I pulled it off during the week between Christmas 2005 and the New Year. It's sort of the Holy Grail of our Greatwood running landmark efforts in that it's the most challenging when I think of duplicating an effort from the past. So the three of us are taking all this fitness we've accumulated over the past six months and are gonna see if we can do it again.

I'll do some more miles Thursday but will take Friday off in anticipation of the hard tempo we've got scheduled for Saturday morning. Steve and Brian and I will be meeting up with David Minken at Bear Creek for 15 miles at about a 6:45 pace. Chip Maxa may be joining us. Then it's full speed taper for the Houston Marathon. I'm gonna try to improve upon my 2:58 from Dallas, but of course, the weather will have to cooperate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

Heres to hoping for great COLD weather come January 13th. For all of our sakes!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home