Friday, November 09, 2007

White Rock Marathon

For some time now I've been leaning strongly toward doing the Dallas White Rock Marathon on December 9th. I'm already signed up for Houston but I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. The weather is always a crap-shoot and I'd hate to waste all this fitness I've worked so hard for on one lone marathon that may not feature ideal conditions. I did Dallas once before. It was my first marathon ever, back in 2003, and man was it cold and clear with little wind.

But my plans were upended the other night by a phone call I made to a good friend of mine, John. John is getting married on Saturday, December 15, and I'm a groomsman. I knew that the wedding itself wouldn't interfere with Dallas, but what about a bachelor party? John and I have been very good buddies for more than 10 years and there's no way I could be so selfish as to bail on his bachelor party so that I could do a marathon that I haven't even signed up for, when I have another one a month later. So I called John to get the details and sure enough, the bachelor party is the weekend before the wedding, Saturday night, December 8. And it's here in town. So Dallas is now out. I was really looking forward to lining up with Steve and Doug Schroeder and Jake Tonge, as we all targeted sub 3 hours. Guess I'll have to wait until Houston. But I was also kicking around the idea of the Kingwood marathon on Jan. 1. Probably not though. Too close to Houston two weeks later.

But I do think I will try to do the 30K in Sugar Land on December 9th, the morning after the bachelor party. That race is all of 10 minutes from home (no exaggeration) and I'm not a big drinker anyway. If I could be in bed by midnight I think I'd be fine to get up at 5 the next morning. And since I'm doing all the other warm-up races and also the marathon, I'd qualify for the Iron Foot, and just might pick up another good race performance for runner of the season standings. I've got two decent ones so far but am not overally optomistic about the 25K this weekend due to the warm temps. And who knows how my marathon will turn out.

Anyway, just thought I'd update my thousands of readers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Lance, if you don't get what you want at Houston there is always Austin, Surfside and Seabrook marathons.

But in my opinion (having run all three of the above), Houston has the best chance of going sub 3 if the weather cooperates!

Good Luck at the 25k.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Steeeve said...

Steve B speaks the truth - if Houston isn't your day, you'll probably need to go out-of-state to find a fast course.

Great plan to run the 30k, though - will boost you waaay up there in the Runner of the Season standings!

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home