Saturday, October 27, 2007

Update

Not a lot to blog about this week. Been running, though a lighter load than normal, and no hard runs, other than speedwork on Thursday. Trying to take it easy before the 1/2 marathon tomorrow. Here's what I've done this week, then a word about the 1/2.

Monday (10/22) - 7.1 miles with Steve Schroeder on the Greatwood Loop. Loop splits were: 26:37 and 25:21. 51:59 (7:19 pace).

Tuesday (10/23) - planned to do speedwork but wasn't fully recovered from the 20K on Sunday. Got in only 1.2 miles.

Wednesday (10/24) - took the day off to be fully recovered.

Thursday (10/25) AM - did 3.5 miles before work. Didn't time myself but felt great in the cold air.
PM - Speedwork with Steve Schroeder at the jr. high track in New Territory. We did 10 fast 400s instead of our usual 12, but man, we flew. We cut the workout short because I had to be home by 6:30 so my wife could run, but go figure, when I got home she wasn't even there. Anyway, here are our 400 splits:

1:20, 1:17, 1:17, 1:18, 1:16, 1:17, 1:18, 1:16, 1:17, 1:10.

Friday (10/26) - AM run before work of 3.5 miles. 24:38 (6:51 pace).


As far as the 1/2 tomorrow goes, I'm really hoping for another good race. I'd love to put those bad races of September behind me and have a good fall and winter. My 10-miler was as good as I could expect and my 20K was another welcomed decent performance. For tomorrow I'm hoping for a pace of somewhere between 6:20 and 6:30. I ran 6:23 for the 10 miler and think I might have been able to go a bit farther that day at that pace. Now, that's a flatter course but on the other hand, it's going to be much cooler tomorrow than it was for the 10-miler, and I've had some solid running since then, including the 20K last Sunday, and the 16.2 miler I did a week ago.

When I did the 10-miler I ran a flat pace throughout so I'm thinking I'm going with the same strategy tomorrow - 6:23 pace through to at least the half-way point (or 7 miles if it's not marked). Then I'll determine if I'm going to bump it up a bit until I hit 10 miles, or determine whether I need to just keep doing 6:23s, or if I need to slow a bit (hopefully not). At 10 miles I'll go through the same evaluation - keep going at that pace, slow down, or dig down.

What do I think will happen tomorrow? The most likely scenario is that I have a good, but not great race, maybe somewhere between 6:25 and 6:30 pace. 6:25 I'd take all day, 6:30 I'd be a bit disappointed with. The other two scenarios are a great race, and a bad race. A great race would just have to be one of those magical, "where'd that come from" kind of days - no real formula to make that happen. I've had a good week this week preparing - plenty of sleep, no monster runs to sap the glycogen stores, I did my weights workout Monday, Wednesday and Friday, including leg squats all three workouts (in preparation for the hills). I've stretched every night and have watched my diet. But all these things are done to ensure a good race. A great race is up to God. The final potentiality - a bad race, could result from any number of things, some in my control and some not. I'll try not to go out too fast and hope for the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home