Thursday, October 11, 2007

Today

Today started off with 3.5 miles this morning. No watch but a brisk pace, probably around 7:00. The cool air was nice, and overdue.

This evening I met Steve at the junior high track for speedwork. Last week Brian and I experimented with an approximately 2 minute walking recovery, rather than the 400 meter jogging recovery we'd always done in the past. The idea was that this might allow a fuller recovery, while ultimately enabling us to complete more 400 speed laps. Last week Brian and I did 12 x 400, a 50% increase in speedwork volume over our previous 8 x 400. We had to dial the pace back a bit to be sure we had enough in the tank. Overall things worked out great. Steve wasn't with us last week so today I described to Steve what we did and he agreed to give it a try.

Things went well. Last week Brian and I did laps at anywhere from 1:23 to 1:28, and a final lap of 1:17. I figured Steve and I would stay pretty close to those numbers, maybe a bit faster. Boy was I wrong. We must have both eaten our Wheaties this morning. Here are the splits:

1:23, 1:19, 1:20, 1:21, 1:21, 1:20, 1:20, 1:20, 1:19, 1:20, 1:19, 1:09.

That 1:09 at the end represents a 400 meter PR for me by one second. Steve posted a 1:07. These are the kinds of times we turned when we did 8 x 400 with the jogging recovery. That walking recovery makes a big difference in the volume of work we're able to do.

Tomorrow morning it's another 3.5 miles, then I'm off until the 10 Miler on Sunday morning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Nice workout.

Do you think walking recoveries allowing for a great volume of 400's increases fitness greater than jogging recoveries with a lower volume of 400's.

Either way a 1:09 is awesome. Dupe that 4 times and you got a 4:36 mile!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

I tend to think so Steve, but we'll see.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home