Sunday, September 23, 2007

16.2 Mile Tempo Run?

Yeah, I don't think tempo runs are supposed to be 16.2 miles long but tonight my long-run fit the bill.

Starting around 7:55 PM I did a mile out and back before starting the Greatwood loop. Doing this then doing 4 loops would give me 16.2 miles. The mile out was 7:22, then 6:52 coming back. Yeah, things were feeling good. The first loop went well and I fell into a pace I felt I could hold indefinitely. I posted a 24:41 (6:57 pace). Brian King was going to try to meet me toward the end of the 1st loop but I didn't see him and started loop 2 alone, with hopes of seeing him somewhere in that second loop.

Brian joined me with about .7 miles to go before the end of the 2nd loop, which came in at 24:47 (6:59 pace), and boy was I glad to have some company. I was not looking forward to two more loops alone. I had planted a 20 oz bottle of Amino Vital at the beiginning of the loop and thought about picking it up after the 2nd loop but decided against it. I wasn't really parched but I began to struggle a bit in that 3rd loop and my form got sloppy. I had to pick it up at the end of the loop just to get in at 25:01. Man, did that bottle taste good. I sucked it down quickly, costing myself just 1:06 on the watch, and then set out to do loop 4.

It didn't take long for the recovery drink to kick in and I felt better. Our splits on the last loop were about where they were on loop 3 but I wanted to try to go sub 25 if possible so we picked it up toward the end and posted a 24:46. I'm not sure I'd have done that 4th loop if Brian hadn't been there. I've got the two best training partners around.

Total distance Sunday (9/23) - 16.2 miles, total time - 1:54:35 (7:04 pace).

Steve, I'm gonna be worthless tomorrow for our Monday tempo run. But I'll be there and will bring whatever I have left.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

you made my 16 miles this weekend seem weak now. :P

Good run, and it always helps to have a partner along with ya.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made my 15 miler Sunday morning with BCRR look like a stroll through the park. We will do the best we can on Monday.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home