Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Screwy Week

Because of a race on Thursday and then the CC relay on Saturday I've had a light training week this week, to say the least. No running on Wednesday in anticipation the Marathon Kick-Off 5K, then no running on Friday in anticipation of the relay yesterday.

The Marathon Kick-off 5K was another disappointing performance for me, at least according to my time - 19:09. I've only gone above 19:00 twice in the past two years so that time is unsettling. I did take consolation though in the fact that two runners who were just behind me with Garmans said they measured the course at 3.19 miles, which works out to an 18:39 for the official 5K distance of 3.107 (did you know that officially 5 kilometers works out to 3.107?). I also managed to pick up 3rd in the 40-44 year male age group.

The relay yesterday went well. I ran as hard as I possibly could and it hurt like a mother the entire way. I knew that the majority of the 1st mile would be relatively flat and the majority of the 2nd mile would be very hilly so I figured mile 1 was where I'd call on my cardio fitness and try to hammer it as fast as possible, with mile 2 being all, or mostly in the legs. That first mile wasn't exactly flat, and the surface was defnitely not even, so I felt pretty good posting a 5:54, but man, it hurt. The mile back was more agony as I just tried to hang on. I clocked a 6:23 mile coming back for a 2 mile total of 12:17. Not the 12 minutes flat that was my stretch goal but I'm fine with it, given the terrain. I handed off to Bill Schroeder, who handed off to Steve Schroeder (no relation to Bill), who handed off to Doug Schroeder (Steve's brother). Doug hammer his leg in 11:55 to get our team home with a 48:35, and 3rd place among male master teams. I also think we were the 2nd fastest Strider team.

I have a long-run with Brian KIng on the schedule this evening. I need the miles.

3 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

congrats on the 5k and the relay finishes!

i will just say this much: i wont ever run that CCR again. i had completely forgotten how brutal it truly is of a course and no amount of money can convince me to run it ever again.

f**k a bunch of that mess! ;o)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

June, it was 12 minutes and 17 seconds of sheer torture. I couldn't possibly have run it one single second faster. It f**king sucked. But I'm sure I'll do it again someday. I'll forget by next year how awful it is.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Nuke Runner said...

12:17 is great for the CCR. My PR on that course is a 12:30 and I was running 18:30 5Ks then.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home