Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Monday Tempo Run With Steve

I met Steve Schroeder yesterday at 5:30 PM for our usual Monday tempo run. He hadn't run since our long-run Friday night and I was fairly fresh as well so we had a good tempo run. We did 7.1 miles (2 loops), with a good negative split and an all-out pace for the last mile or so. There's one final turn on the loop that is .8 miles from the completion point and this is where we usually take it to another gear if we're feeling it. We were. Or at least Steve was and I held on, or at least tried to. I took it up one gear, Steve took it up two. From the final turn he covered the .8 miles in 4:46, easily the fastest any of us have ever covered that stretch, and good enough for a 5:57 pace over the .8 mile. Here are the particulars:

Total distance covered: 7.1 miles. Total time (for me) 50:09 (7:04 pace).
Loop splits: 25:45 (7:15 pace), 24:24 (6:52 pace).

Note: I'm very concerned about the projected conditions for the 25K this Sunday. The forecasted low that morning is 65, with a high of 81. It may change a little but not much. That's too warm, especially if you're planning to hammer a 6 something pace. I wore a shirt and hat yesterday just to try to force my body to re-acclimate a bit to warmer conditions and will do so the rest of the week. Maybe this will help me deal with the warmer temperatures Sunday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say congrats on your +60 mile week! Whenever I start syching myself out before a hard workout I come read your blog to remind me what hard work/training is all about! I will see you Sunday!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

You tha man Mink, thanks. See ya Sunday.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

Lance, I keep seeing the weather for Sunday and then I think COME ON CHAAAAAAAAAANGE!! Those boys (and girls) need something better to work with!!

See you there!

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lance,

Have a good race Sunday. The weather will be warmer than the half but should still be reasonable. I have a long workout at Memorial Park but hope to finish in time to come out and cheer for all of you.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home