Saturday, November 03, 2007

Friday Night Long-Run

I met Steve Schroeder and Brian King last night at around 8:40 PM for 19.65 miles on the Greatwood Loop. We could have used cooler weather but otherwise things went according to plan. We had no intention of trying to crank the pace since this is more than 3 miles farther than we've gone thus far. We just wanted to run at a conversational, relaxed pace for close to 20 miles and that's what we did.

The run consisted of 5 times around the Greatwood Loop, which I always put down as being 3.55 miles, but actually it's 3.53 if you want to be exact. That would get us to 17.65 miles, then the plan was to do a mile out, and a mile back, for a total of 19.65. Steve and I stopped for about 20 seconds after loops 2 and 4 (kept the watch going) to grab a drink. Brian opted to stop after loop 3 only.

Our loop splits were: 26:51, 26:28, 26:29, 26:25, and 26:24. The mile out was 6:52 but instead of clicking a split at that point, I mistakenly stopped the timer. I know our mile coming back was way faster than the 6:52 going out, but I'm conservatively calling it a 6:30.

So the totals were: 19.65 miles, 2:26:00 (7:26 pace).

Came home and soaked in a tub filled with cold water and 20 lbs of ice. That was the worst part of the entire night! But feel fine today. I was going to go out and pick up some easy miles tonight but have decided to take today off and hit it hard tomorrow evening. Maybe an all-out 10 miler, or back to the Greatwood Loop for a fast 14.2. We'll see.

Sad news today about Ryan Shay. I just read that he had an enlarged heart. But I'd like to know more. I've read that distance runners can have hearts as much as 30% larger than the average adult. And that's normal. My mom, of course, has already sent me the article and I'm sure she'll use it to try to convince me that running isn't healthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home