Thursday, March 13, 2008

4 x 1 Mile Intervals

My running buddy Brian King has been doing mile intervals for more than two years but only recently went from three to four (and even five on at least one occasion). Brian told me recently that he didn't really see any gains until he went from three to four.
The idea of doing four gave me a warm feeling. Then I realized it was because I had wizz running down my leg. The though of doing just three makes me want to hide under my bed. Doing four sounded like a life-changing experience, like my life would change because it would cause me to give up running.

Naturally I'm exaggerating but mile repeats or intervals are tough as nails. You get half way through one and think, "oh crap - I'm totally gassed and only halfway done!" But I was determined to dial back the hellbent-for-leather pace today and get in four, no matter what times I had to turn in. It really worked out quite nicely.

I did all four, and probably could have done another, which from what I've always heard, is the way you're supposed to finish speedwork. My big secret was that I went just a little slower than last week. I know, can you believe it? I need to write a book, huh? Anyway, my times were still pretty respectable, especially considering that they didn't send me into blue-in-the-face territory.

Here are my mile times: 5:54, 5:52, 5:52, 5:47. Not far off what I did two weeks ago when I did only three and was totally whipped after the third one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Good stuff on the mile-repeats. Yeah, they are tough, and the more you do the better.

Although, i do have to say, i've never heard that at the end of speed work, you should feel like you can do more. I must be doing it all wrong... most of the time, I feel like I'm about to fall on my face. :)

Either way, keep plugging away man! See ya on the roads.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home