Saturday, January 26, 2008

My 6th Consecutive Spectacle Spectacular 10K

Brian King and I headed down to Angleton this morning for the Spectacle Spectacular 10K (they also have a 5K). I wasn't expecting anything better than a 39 flat since I haven't really trained for the shorter stuff and am probably still recovering from two marathons in a five week span but I knew Brian would be ready to crush his PR of around 39:30. And my predictions were correct on both accounts.

I had hoped to hang with Brian, at least for the first few miles but wasn't in shape to run 6:10s. Kevin Regis (who just ran a 2:51 marathon at Houston at the age of 48) was there and he and Brian hung tight pretty much throughout the race, although at an ever increasing distance in front of me. Juancarlos Vielma was the rabbit today. We figured that with two other major runs around town today and with many still recovering from the Houston marathon that the talent might be a little thin at each race. But Juancarlos ran a fantastic race and had no one to push him, and not even a bicycle or motorcycle cop to follow. He turned in a very impressive 34:10 to win it going away and picked up a check for $150 cash. Susan Walters was first overall female at around 40:30 and picked up a check for the same amount. Overall masters wasn't recognized, although Kevin Regis would have won it for the men, with a nice 38:20, good enough for 3rd overall. I was next in behind Kevin, with a 39:12 (as I said, I wasn't expecting much better). Kevin took first in the 40-49 age group and I was second.

Brian King gets his own paragraph here. He was second overall, and killed his PR by more than a minute and a half, holding off a 2:51 marathoner and turning in a 37:48. He even ran a negative split. Great job Brian! Coach Lance is proud!

In the 5K, Brett Ramsey came down and picked up the win (and a check for $60), with a nice 17:34.

Conditions this morning were even better than at the Houston marathon because there were nearly identical temperatures but virtually no wind, and overcast. This is a nice little run they put on down there in Angleton. I wouldn't miss it. Today's time of 39:12 was by far the best time I've turned in down there. Give me a few weeks to focus on my speed and I'll be where I want to be, hopefully.



And by the way Minken, Kevin backed up what coach Jack Daniels told you. He said he did 80+ miles a week starting in late September. That's how you get to 2:51.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nuke Runner said...

Nice race Lance; this 10K does demonstrate it's time to start focusing on those shorter races. Brian King ran a great race. He ran stronger than me from the start and the best I could do was stay up with him heading north into the light wind the first two miles.
Kevin R

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if only I could work part time and focus on increasing my mileage...Well, acutally I guess I do work part time, just wish I did not have to be AT work full time!!

Nice running to you and Brian! I cannot wait to see what happens the next couple months!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to add to Lance's comment about the race. I have run this course a couple of times and I haven't run another course as flat as this one. A north wind may slow you down a little but there is at least a mile and a half with it carrying you in. Thanks Kevin for keeping me honest throughout the race and also giving us some input on your training. I feel that everyone can learn a little from each of us.

Junior

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go Lance! at the Med Center 5K, there was only 2 folks I knew who are some of the 'talent' of Houston, Jose Lara and Joe Flores..both winning, Lara for overall, and Joe, overall master and 2nd to Lara.

ok, day 3 of the LC diet, and I'm hangin' tough.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Pony and Petey said...

Ok, Dude...please share the diet info me with that you gave to Junebug!

Eating plan...shopping lists... do's...don'ts... I've seen the marathon pics...you're inspiring!!!

Way cool race report too = )

6:19 PM  
Blogger Pony and Petey said...

...uh...that would be WITH me, THAT you...

sorry, blond moment = )))

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home