Sunday, January 15, 2006

Train Wreck At Mile 23

On March 12, 2005 I ran the Bayou City Classic 10K in 47:19. 8 months later, on November 19, 2005 I ran the Knight Flight For Humanity 10K in 38:26. I didn't drop 100 lbs or anything like that. I was diagnosed with anemia, and, after getting that corrected (via a supplement and a lot of steaks), I got faster - a lot faster.

I got to the point of telling people that I felt like some fast guy loaned me his body and that I hoped he never asked for it back. Today, at mile 23, I wish I could have had my old body back. My old body could have managed the final 3 miles at a 7:15 pace. The one I had today couldn't/wouldn't.

I was running beautifully through 20 miles. After 5 miles my average pace was 6:43. After 10 miles it was 6:44. After 15 miles it was 6:44. After 20 miles it was 6:44. Mile 21 was 6:55 - slowing a tiny bit but still acceptable. Mile 22 was 7:08 and signs of trouble were looming. The guy I had run the 6:44s with through 20 (Brian Belger) was way out in front of me so I was on my own. Mile 23 was 7:17. That was really the last point at which I had a shot of breaking 3 hours. Mile 24 was 7:42, mile 25 was 8:16, and mile 26 was a gawdawful 8:36. Hell, I had a couple of miles that were 2 minutes faster than that early on.

What happened? You tell me. Did I go too fast? I'm not so sure. My 30K time projected a marathon time of 2:58. Even the Rockets Run 5K, where I felt like I underperformed, projected a 2:58. I don't think going slower in those early miles would have made any difference in the last three. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think so. When I started slowing down it wasn't because I was winded, it wasn't because I was out of gas, and it wasn't because I was injured, though I have some blisters that would qualify for a medical textbook if they need a picture to describe "severe". I just simply could not make my body go at a 6:45 pace any longer. It was like a machine that needs oil - badly. It was bare metal grinding against bare metal. Every joint and muscle was creaky and used up.

I'm not sure how to get past this. My longest training run was 22.3 miles, and I guess you could say I had the same experience in the last 1.5 miles of that one. Do I need to push my longest long-run out to 24 maybe? I wish I knew the answer. There's no reason I shouldn't have been able to maintain that 6:44 pace. I would have turned a 2:56 and change.

As it was, I finished in 3:02:28. That may be a dream time for alot of people, and was unimaginable for me up until 3 or 4 months ago, but I can't help thinking what might have been. I'm still proud though. I did the best I could.

I wonder if I could swallow some WD-40 next time at mile 20....

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Welcome to blogging Lance!

If you find the answers please let me know as I've gone thru some similar analysis as well. I ran 20+ miles at least 3 times during my training and my longest run was 23 miles. Sure I didn't feel great in my training runs, but I wasn't nausaeus like I was Sunday. Did I eat the wrong foods, did I not drink enough of the right things? etc. etc.

My early conclusion is that I need to run further and faster in my training runs and simply gain more experience.

It was nice seeing you at the finish line and thanks for the Kudos.

Maybe one day I can drive out to your neighborhood and do a training run with your team.

RunSteve

7:14 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

WD-40. Thats good. One could only hope.

Congrats on a FABULOUS time no matter what you say ;O)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

yeh welcome to blogging- glad you joined us!!
I have some questions with the anemia stuff. What kind of supplement? Did you tell your dr. you thought you had this or did they tell you? I am like 99% sure I've got it and I've been trying to take iron pills but they make me sick.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Lance-
I saw you finish the race, in fact, you were the only blogger I saw finish for some reason.
Congrats on the huge PR and BQ!

1:48 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hey Lance, it was good to meet you at the blogger dinner. Your running 4 minutes per mile faster than me, I'm not much help. My problem is a weak left hamstring (Sciatica) than has kept me running slow, but knock wood is virtually gone now. Congrats on a great race.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home