Saturday, March 15, 2008

Morning Milage

I took our dog out this morning around 9 AM to let her work off some energy. We did one loop around New Territory, plus the trip up to the loop and back for a total of 3.5 miles. I felt so good on this run that when I took the dog back to the house I asked my wife if I could run some more on my own and then I'd have my run out of the way for the day. She had no problem with it and the boys were behaving so I headed back out for two more loops.

Since I felt great and it wasn't hot yet I let the pace come to me, not trying to go fast and not trying to intentionally hold back. I did the first loop in 22:46 (7:08 pace). On the second loop my pace remained roughly the same until about halfway through when I saw a guy running the same direction as me, way up ahead of me. I began estimating at what point I'd catch him, which naturally caused my pace to increase. Finally, with about half a mile to go I got within 20 or 30 feet of him and could see that it was a young guy, about 17 or 18. As I began to close the final distance he picked up his pace significantly. Two weeks ago I would have gone with him but with my determination to not do my best running in training I let him go, though I must admit I probably picked it up a little. About a quarter mile later he stopped and began walking off the loop. I thought he had picked it up to try to stay in front of me but he was finishing his workout and that was his finishing kick. That kid could be a future training partner for Brian and Steve and I! I told him that was the way to finish a workout and gave him a "nice job" shoutout. I finished my own workout (though not with the finishing surge he put in) then headed to the shower. The second loop came in at 22:07 (6:56) and my total distance for the day was around 10.30 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home