Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Corner Has Been Turned

After another weekend of dealing with congestion in my lungs that was causing me to wheeze and often be unable to take a deep breath I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor on Monday. Got two prescriptions then met Steve Schroeder and Brian King at the Greatwood Loop before I even got the prescriptions filled. Brian had gotten there before us and hammered one 3.55 mile loop, then was going to do two more with Steve, with me doing whatever I felt I could. One quick note about Brian's solo loop. When I say he "hammered" it, that's a severe understatement. He's threatening to pull away from Steve and I. The fastest I've ever covered that loop is in 22:54. I've only managed to go sub 23 one other time, 22:57. Brian's previous fastest loop was about 22:39. He completed the loop in 21:19 on Monday, a flat 6 minute pace on a tough course. Then still had something left in the tank to hammer two more with Steve and I. Brian's been training like a mother and it's going to show in his next race, which will probably be the Park to Park 5 Miler.

The three of us hit loop one in a brisk 24:49 (6:59 pace). It felt nice to be able to really get out there and run but I told the guys I didn't think I'd be able to go negative on the second loop. I guess they didn't hear me. Loop two came in at 24:33 (6:55 pace). Well, actually that was my time for loop two. With about 200 yards to go Steve picked it up significantly. Brian hesitated for just a bit then took off to catch him. I was content to finish with the strong pace I'd been running - the lungs weren't ready for sprinting. Brian caught Steve and I watched as they both reached for another gear. They finished about eight seconds in front of me on that second loop. My 7.1 mile two loop total was 49:23 (6:57 pace). Anytime we cover two loops in under 50 minutes it's a good day.

Yesterday morning (Tuesday) I tried to get out and do some speedwork but just wasn't ready yet. I went to the Houston Strider meeting last night then came home and laced 'em up. I went out for what I'm guessing is about five miles. I'll have to measure it with my Nike Ipod sensor. I'm sure my pace was sub seven. Everything felt great, although I still have some pain here and there in that left knee. I can't believe that with all the time off I've taken that's it hasn't completely gone away. Will have to monitor.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey coach thanks for the compliments. I think we really bring the best out of each other. It was good to see you out there and all three of us running again. By the way did you read the article about stretching in Inside Texas Running? Thought it was pretty interesting.

Junior

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home