Wednesday, November 14, 2007

10K Training Run

I took Monday off because I was pretty whipped from the 25K. Very whipped in fact. I felt like I had done a marathon the day before. Yesterday I met Steve Schroeder at Memorial Park after work for what turned out to be about 8.5 relatively easy miles. So tonight I expected to be pretty close to fully recovered, and with the Luke's Locker Uptown Turkey Trot 10K on the agenda for next week I wanted to press the envelope and run an aggressive 10K training run tonight. I'll try to do another one early next week.

It turned out that I wasn't fully recovered and wasn't able to do the pace I wanted, but still had a decent run. I did 19:35 going out (6:19 pace), and 19:22 coming back (6:15 pace). Overall pace worked out to 6:17 but I need to be 10 seconds a mile faster next week or I'm going to be disappointed. Based on my 10 miler and 1/2 marathon I should be able to dip below 38 minutes but I haven't been focusing on shorter hard tempo runs in some time, and all my races have been the long stuff for the last six weeks. I know there was a little more there tonight but there needs to be alot more there next week. We'll see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great workout for you & Steve. I wouldn't worry too much about the pace because you're still recovering from the 25K. With cooler temp (this coming from Tuan the meteorologist:-), rest, race-day adrenaline, and competition, you'll find that extra 10 sec./mile next week.
IMHO, there's not much fitness to be gained in a week, especially VO2max fitness which will be stressed during a 10K race. I'd take it really, really easy for the next week so I can have fresh legs for the race. I know that around mile 4 or so my legs would remind me of the 25K.:-)

7:29 AM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

Advice appreciated and recieved. When Tuan speaks people listen!

I do have an aggressive-pace longish (16.2) on the schedule for Saturday morning, but I may skip speedwork today and do some easy milage. That long-run Saturday and a tempo run on Monday will be the only tough runs on the schedule until the 10K next week.

Tuan, you think that having not trained hard-short in a while that my VO2max fitness essentially not there? Not just sort of dormant? My thinking was that with a couple of near all-out paced 4-6 mile runs I'd be able to "wake up" that fitness, not have to develop it all over again. Do you think that if I haven't trained for the 5K to 10K distance that the VO2 fitness is simply gone and must be gained all over again, the hard way? I guess I was hoping that VO2 fitness has memory, or is easier to regain when you recently had it.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for being receptive to my comments, Lance. But I think you had no choices when the advice came from an upperclassman ('85 Computing Science).:-))

There should be a rule here that prohibits the blog owner to ask questions of visitors. I wish we had this conversation 2 days ago when the running doctor was in town. I'm going to make a fool of myself here so feel free to ignore what follows.

I've been following Jack Daniels training method for almost 10 years now so I go by his 2 VDOT charts that show projected performances and training intensity.

Your half-marathon time 1:23:29 basically puts you at VDOT 56 (1:23:00 is the exact time but I allow for the course difficulty). The projected 10K for VDOT 56 is 37:31. I've seen your 400s workouts back in mid-October in the high 70s. That's about right for VDOT 56. So, you've also got your rep (running economy) work covered. You've also done the threshold pace work w/ the 3 warmup series races. I don't go how much 1200 or mile workouts you've done but I remember you did a 10K early September. Basically, your VO2max is already there for a sub-38 10K.

However,each runner is different. I prefer to taper before a race which explains my bias towards not doing hard workout too close to a race. You are probably more comfortable with your routine which includes this "wake up" run. It also depends on what your goal is for next Thursday. Do you just want to break 38? or do you want to further validate your 56 VDOT using another distance? VDOT 56 translates to a 2:53:20 marathon.
In any case, I think the important thing is to keep the legs fresh for the race.

So, to answer all your questions:-)

Your VO2max fitness is already there, not dormant, and will show up prominently at the finish line next Thursday.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home