Thursday, June 03, 2010

Astros 5K Race Recap

I went into the Astros 5K this past weekend shooting for sub 19 minutes and expecting measurable improvement over the 5K I did in Tomball in early April. Yeah Tomball was cooler and a flatter course but still, when I've done a 5K in the mid to high 19s it's always been on the way down to faster times. But this past weekend showed that I've made no improvement at all. Either that or I had a bad day, which I don't usually have on race days.

I hit the first mile in 6:13 and knew I was in trouble at that point. That's not an auspicious beginning to a sub 19. It wasn't likely that I was going to get faster in mile two and three so I just held on the best I could. Miles two and three were probably around 6:25. I finished in 19:46, ten seconds slower than my 5K in Tomball. But I must admit that my training hadn't been going very well leading into the race. I've had a rough few weeks, with many training runs cut short due to fatigue, lack of will, breathing issues, etc. I haven't done enough consistent speedwork either so I shouldn't have expected much.

I did manage to win my age group though, which is really just a statement about all the fast 45-49 year old guys who didn't show up (thank God). That was good for four field box seats to an Astros game of my choice, and a pair of Asics from Academy. But as with most runners, it was small consolation. I know I didn't have a good race, so while I'm grateful for the awards, I'm not proud of my effort.

This week though I've had a good couple of runs to go along with two easy run days. On Tuesday night I did 10.37 at an overall pace of 7:25, but the first five miles were at a 7:11 pace, and I also did about .75 miles somewhere around mile seven at about a 6:10 pace. I walked a bit to recover from that which impacted the overall pace number. And tonight I did 9.50 at an overall pace of 7:30. Most of that was with Anthony, one of the new guys I met two weeks ago. He's going to make a nice addition to the (invitation only) Brian, Steve and Lance Sugar Land running club. I'll try to get in some miles in the morning before work then a long run of 16 on Saturday morning with Brian.

No more 5Ks until July. I'd better be under 19 by then or I quit!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello fellow runner. Nice blog. Have you tried the SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Sock. I think these are awesp,e for after you run! They help flush lactic acid out after you run and circulate blood.
www.AthleticRecoverySock.com

1:04 PM  
Anonymous keens said...

You have a nice blog here.I had fun reading some of the old posts here! nice one!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Matthew Bradford said...

Hi, just writing to let you know that I'm hosting a free Santa Speedo Run for men and women December, 18th at Memorial Park in Houston meeting at the tennis center at 9:30am. Wear a Santa-themed Speedo/bathing suit/bikini and have a fun time emabarrassing yourself and getting into the holiday spirit!

If you'd like to join or promote the run I'd love it! Official Facebook invite here http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=176763295682103#!/event.php?eid=176763295682103

9:07 PM  
Blogger Derrest said...

Check out Mudder Dash at www.mudderdash.com

It is a 5k adventure mud run at Sam Houston Race Park! It is a Mudder Frickin' Good Time!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Send Flowers to Mumbai said...

It's good blog.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Online Bouquet Delivery in Delhi said...

A gift that is given to anyone is precious and no matter how much does it cost.
Every special day can be celebrated with presenting fresh and beautifully decorated flower arrangements.

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Online Flower Delivery in Chennai said...

The technological advancement has touched every aspect of our life and has made our life much easier and quicker.
Flowers delivery in Chennai allows people to send flowers to their loved ones residing in Chennai.

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Online Florist in Bangalore said...

your blog posting is nice.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SITUS POKER UANG ASLI
yuk teman teman mari bergabung bersama kami
di www.rimbapoker.com
banyak bonus2 menarik teman2 DEPOSIT 50RB BONUS50RB
tunggu apa lagi jangan lupa mengajak teman2 anda bergabung BONUS REFERRAL 20%

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Sky Contact Number said...

Nice one! and thanks for share. Please visit my sitesky contact number

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home